Chapter 15: The Teams

A city aflame, air burned an invisible fire, stone and steel melted into a soup of hot orange. In the centre of all this, a horned woman burned the hottest, looking down from her throne of destruction, she saw a single man beaten and battered, on one hand, he barely was able to carry a war hammer, and on the other, was the absence of an arm.

"Everyone has left you to die. To what reason do you side against your own kin?" The woman asked, on her hand, a molten greatsword formed, surrounding it, an aura of distorted, superheated air burned. The woman took a step forward, burning the stone into molten magma, she approached the man, yet, the man did not waver. He quickly attacked, swinging his hammer with all his might, the woman simply dodged as the hammer slammed into the ground, creating a shockwave of magma around the two.

"Tch. What a pain." She said as she swung her sword. The world around shuddered as the molten battlefield erupted once more in flames, yet, the man still stood, dodging the swipe, the strike instead melted a building behind him, collapsing as the man swung once more.

Just outside the battlefield, Yelena stood still, in awe at the unfaltering determination the man had, it reminded her of her father. This was her first time meeting someone that could 'somewhat' match the woman, no, this was the first time she saw someone unfazed by her. Beside her, a pale child in white walked up, with his frustration evident, the child gritted his teeth as he held onto a cane that he carried.

"How... how is he still fighting her?" The child said in rage, somewhat insulted that their leader was spending the effort to fight the badly injured man. Yelena only nodded as the man once more took a step back, retaliating through a flurry of blows that made the woman step back. As she expertly parried each hammer strike, Yelena only nodded, not wanting to see the end of this one-sided battle...

"So this is the strength of our enemy... She will remember this..." Yelena muttered as a finally swipe shuddered the burning city... silencing the battlefield.

"Rhodes Island..." The woman mutters as her greatsword dissipates into steam, staring forward to the horizon with her burning gaze...

~~~

Ace held his breath as he rode the elevator toward the top of Beacon's tower. For three years had he been working in Beacon as a professor, and about four years since he was transported here since his death, and not once was his secret ever found out.

He chose Beacon as a strategic means to gather information about the current world he was in, especially thanks to the Cross Continent Transmit System, which allowed for near-global communications between other individuals. Specifically, his entire team, and all other Rhodes Island operators who he had located, were currently under orders from him to stay hidden, using alternate identities, with the sole mission to find more individuals from their world of Terra.

'Can't be that bad...' Ace couldn't even think of a proper reason for Ozpin to call him. He had stayed out of trouble for the past three years, if he wanted to drink, it would have been when everyone else was, and to even refrained from getting drunk to spill information. Besides, the only other thing he had that would incite suspicion was to visit the CCT once a month or so, but that was easily solved with his team using coded words and playing off being his previous huntsman team and friends.

The elevator slowed to a halt as the door began to open, and immediately, Ace understood the reasoning of his summon.

"Ah, Professor Ace, you've arrived." The headmaster stood behind his desk with a smile, the same smile Ace had accustomed himself towards. He never knew what was inside the headmaster's head, his smile saying a whole lot of things or none at all. Yet Ozpin's intentions were laid bare as the man right in front of him was Patriot.