seventeen

seventeen - championship

Kate begins to warm up on the court with the rest of her teammates. They all wear the same navy blue and white jerseys. As they start doing some lay up drills the bleachers get more full, as many people start to enter the gym.

Yelena and her parents enter the gym and walk towards some empty seats. As the blonde walks past the team, Kate notices her almost instantly. She gives the blonde her signature smirk, then goes back to passing the hall to her teammate.

Since it was the championship game the crowd held many colorful bright signs. Yelena sees Natasha and Wanda with the other cheerleaders near the entrance of the gym. It seemed they were practicing a few routines before the big game. When the three of them finally sit down in an empty space they see Peter walking up to them.

"Hi Peter." Melina greets the boy with a big smile. Alexei just nods his head at the boy.

Peter reflects the big smile, "Hey guys, i'm so excited for the game!" He says excitedly. He walks over to Yelena and sits right next to her. He leans over to the girl and whispers, "So i'm guessing Kate is friends with them again."

Yelena looks over to where Peter is looking. She sees Steve, Clint, and Bucky sitting in the front of the student section. They were holding a sign of their own that said, "Kate is our Bestie #10."

Yelena leans back over to Peter, "Yea they're good now." She replies. Peter whispers a quick 'good' then they proceed to watch the team warm up.

As the team finished their warm up drills, Kate's friends in the student section erupted into cheers, their sign held high for all to see. The sight of Steve, Clint, and Bucky showing their support warmed Kate's heart. They may have had their differences, but at that moment, Kate felt so much appreciation.

With a final glance towards the stands, Kate took a deep breath, the weight of the championship game settling on her shoulders. She knew she had a lot to prove, not just to herself but to everyone who believed in her. The opening buzzer rang, and the game began. Kate's focus sharpened, every move was calculated.

The game went smoothly, Kate had scored most of the team's points. Neither team had stayed behind, the score was constantly going back in forth. With Westview always having the lead.

The fourth quarter had already started, now only just a few minutes left. The gym buzzed with anticipation, the air thick with the scent of sweat and the constant squeak of sneakers against the gym floor. Kate stood at the free-throw line, her gaze locked on the hoop, her mind focused and determined. The crowd's voices melded into a distant roar as she took a deep breath and released the ball.

Swish.

The crowd erupted into cheers, a wave of energy surging through the gym. The cheerleaders did a chant from the bleachers. Kate's teammates slapped her back in congratulations. Their team was just a few points behind, but with Kate's extra point, it got them closer.

Kate ran back to defense as the time on the clock got lower and lower. Her eyes locked on the opposing player, ready to anticipate their next move. She stole the ball with a swift flick of her wrist, with a lightning fast pass, she set her teammate up for a breakaway layup, the crowd cheered.

The scoreboard flickered with each point scored, the tension in the gym got more tense with every passing second. Kate's heart pounded.

In a quick moment, with only seconds left on the clock, Kate found herself at the top of the key. She could feel the weight of the game resting on her shoulders, but she refused to let it break her focus. She dribbled the ball, eyes scanning the court for an opening.