twenty two

twenty two - worries and commitments

Peter's room was aglow with the soft light of the TV. The scent of popcorn filled the room. Yelena lounged on Peter's bed, surrounded by an array of pillows, while Peter eagerly set up the movie.

"Ready for another journey into the wizarding world?" Peter grinned, holding up a bowl of popcorn.

Yelena smirked, "Always. But you have to admit, the books are better."

"Yea but Goblet of Fire is one of the best movies!" Peter replied.

When he finished putting in the disc, he ran over to his bed and sat right next to his best friend. Yelena grabbed a blanket and threw it over her and Peter's legs. They settled in, Peter with a bowl of popcorn in hand, and Yelena surrounded by an array of pillows. As the opening credits rolled, Peter got all excited when the music started playing.

Throughout the movie, they exchanged commentary, recalling their favorite parts, and debating between the movies versus the books. The popcorn bowl passed between them as they laughed at Fred and George's antics and sighed at the romance between characters.

In the middle of a thrilling Quidditch match, Peter noticed Yelena's attention wandering. He paused the movie, turning to her with a concerned look, "Hey, what's going on? You're usually more into the movies."

Yelena sighed, her eyes fixed on the paused movie. "It's Kate. She's considering going to Columbia because of me, and it's stressing me out."

Peter frowned in confusion. "Wait, isn't that a good thing? I mean, Columbia is a great school."

"It is, but... she's making this decision based on me, not on what she really wants. She got into UCLA for basketball, and she's passionate about it. But now, she's thinking about giving that up just to be closer to me," Yelena explained, her voice carrying a mix of frustration and worry.

Peter nodded, understanding the complexity of the situation. "So, what's the problem? Sounds like she's just trying to be with you."

Yelena sighed again, "That's the thing, Pete. I want her to follow her dreams, not mine. I don't want her to give up something she loves just for me. She needs to make decisions for herself, not for us."

Peter listened attentively, "Have you talked to her about this?"

Yelena nodded, "Yeah, but she's convinced it's the right thing to do. I just... I don't want her to regret it later, you know? And what if it puts a strain on us?"

Peter placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "Yelena, you're an amazing girlfriend to Kate, and I'm sure she values your opinion. Maybe you just need to make her see that supporting her dreams is the best way to be there for her."

Yelena managed a small smile, appreciating Peter's perspective. "Yeah, you're right. I just hope she understands."

Peter nodded at his friend, "She will."

The blonde smiled at her friend then sighed, "Sorry this was supposed to be a fun movie night."

Peter chuckled, "Hey don't worry about it. Why don't we go get some milkshakes?"

Yelena smiled. Getting milkshakes was a tradition of theirs. Since they were kids they would always go get milkshakes when they were feeling sad or stressed.

"Yea I'd love to." She smiled.

___

Kate found a quiet corner at school, away from the bustling hallways and curious gazes. With a deep breath, she dialed Jeremy Walters, the UCLA basketball recruiter. The phone rang a few times before a warm voice answered on the other end.