twenty one

twenty one - i'm doing this for you

Kate sat in the office of Mr. Coulson, her school counselor, nervously tapping her foot as she waited for him to finish up a call. The office was filled with the typical academic things, shelves of college brochures, inspirational posters, and the faint hum of a copier in the background.

After a few moments, Mr. Coulson hung up the phone and offered Kate a warm smile. "Sorry about that, Kate. Thank you for coming in. I wanted to discuss your plans after graduation. I understand it's a stressful time, and I'm here to help."

Kate offered a weak smile, appreciating the counselor's understanding. "Yeah, it's just... a lot right now."

Mr. Coulson leaned forward, hands folded on his desk. "Totally understandable. I've been keeping an eye on your impressive academic record, and I think it's time we talk about what comes next. What are you thinking?"

Kate hesitated before sharing what she's been stressed out about, "Well, I've got accepted to Columbia, which is no surprise considering who my mother is. It's close to home and they have a great program. But then there's this UCLA basketball scholarship, and it's... complicated."

Mr. Coulson nodded, "You've got some fantastic opportunities in front of you. Each choice has its own merits. Have you considered what factors are most important to you? What do you value in a college experience?"

Mr. Coulson raised an eyebrow, "Basketball scholarship? Tell me more about it."

Kate, without even realizing it, found herself animatedly describing the basketball scholarship, her eyes lighting up as she spoke about the game, the team, and the excitement of the opportunity. "Alright, so the basketball scholarship... It's more than just a sport for me. Basketball has been a constant in my life, a way to push myself, to connect with others. The team dynamics, the rush of the game, it's like this whole other world where everything makes sense. And UCLA, they're offering me a chance to be a part of that, to play at a level I've always dreamed of."

Mr. Coulson listened, nodding for her to continue.

"Columbia has an amazing business program," she began cautiously. "It's just... I've always felt this pressure, you know? My parents built their empire, and my mother expects me to carry it forward. But it's not just about her it's about proving something to myself. That I can handle the responsibility, that I can succeed on my terms."

Mr. Coulson could sense the weight on Kate's shoulders. "It sounds like there's a lot tied to this decision. What specifically concerns you about Columbia?"

Kate hesitated before responding, "It's not about the school itself. It's more about... family expectations. Especially my mom's. She's always had this vision of me stepping into her shoes, running the business the way she thinks it should be run. Oh and my dad, he probably would have wanted me to do this too."

Mr. Coulson nodded in return, "It sounds like you're considering Columbia not out of personal passion, but because it's expected of you. Have you thought about what you want, Kate? Separate from family expectations."

Kate sighed with frustration and tiredness, "Honestly, I'm not sure what I want. I've been so focused on meeting others' expectations that I haven't given much thought to what truly excites me. That's why basketball feels different. It's something I love, something that's just mine."

Mr. Coulson leaned forward, offering support. "Kate, it's essential to make choices that align with your passions. Whether it's basketball, business, or a combination of both. Don't let the weight of expectations overshadow what truly matters to you."