Part 23 - Betrayed

It's been almost two weeks since Tony learned the truth about why you and Ethan fought that day. He hasn't taken it well, even until today he's still struggling to cope with the realisation.

One of the first nights, you caught him awake and mumbling to himself on the balcony. He was even hitting his own head with his hands and repeating "it's all my fault". Of course you stood by him and once again told him that he shouldn't blame himself.

Ever since that night he kind of got better but still it is visible that he's struggling. To keep his mind occupied he has stated working much more than usual, like all the other times in the past that he got obsessed with a project.

So you decided to surprise him by visiting him at his office or lab, depending on where he is. Apparently you still have access to all the Stark Industries floors and rooms. Maybe Tony never took that clearance away from you or maybe he cleared you again but it's not important.

"Hey, handsome" you appear on his office door.

"Alice? You're here! How?" he stands up from his chair.

"Good to see you, too" you joke around.

"Come on, you know I'm happy to see you" he softens up and approaches you.

Before saying another word you lean into one another and kiss very softly. Your hand rests on his chest for the whole duration of it, while his hand is holding you by your arm.

"You look tired, have you slept at all?" you ask him.

"Yes, I have. Don't worry about me, I'm great" he smiles to hide the truth.

"How much coffee have you had?" you narrow your eyebrows as you look at an empty coffee cup on his desk.

"One... litre" he replies skeptically.

"Oh, God" you shake your head.

"I just like coffee, that's all" he defends himself.

"What have you been up to?" you ask him.

"You know, work stuff. I'm always needed around here" he replies.

"I'm pretty sure you're not needed here 15 hours a day" you correct him.

"You'd be surprised if you knew how dependent everyone is on me" he answers.

"Tony, you were literally on vacation not too long ago, they can clearly survive without you for a while" you hurt his ego.

"That's because I had to convince Pepper to let me go. Trust me, it's not that easy, I'm this company's heart and soul" he says.

"You have been overworking yourself and need to take the vacation time we talked about" you insist.

"I'd love to, really. But it's practically impossible right now. I've been so swamped with work, the company needs me" he uses excuses.

"We'll see about that" you just smile at him.

"What do you mean? Where are you going?" he asks when he sees you walking away from his office.

You ignore his questions and continue walking down Stark Industries' hallway. You can feel Tony's presence a few meters behind you, following every step you make. Once you stop outside an office, he sighs and stands next to you.

"What are you doing outside Pepper's office?" he asks.

"I want to ask her what she thinks about all this" you shrug.

"No!" he tries to stop you before knocking on her door but you're faster.

"Please, come in" Pepper's voice welcomes you inside.