Part 37 - Happy

Your morning begins with the sun, still a bit drowsy in the sky. No tiredness at all as you roll on the endless bed, feeling the softness of the sheets. Tony is nowhere to be found but that's nothing that surprises you. He's been working much the last couple of weeks and leaving home very early in the morning. You hate not waking up with him next to you but there's not much you can do about it other than be patient.

Next to you, on the bedside table, you find a crumpled note—a signature Tony move these past weeks. Just because you're not waking up together it doesn't mean that he forgets about you. You either find a note, a flower, a cup of coffee, or anything else that he might think of to surprise you with. The note is handwritten, and judging by the beauty of it, you're sure he took his time writing it and it wasn't a rushed decision.

"Rise and shine, Mrs. Stark. There's a pot of coffee with your name on it in the kitchen. And if you can decode this masterpiece of a note, follow the smell of adventure to Stark Industries. I've got a day of shenanigans planned. Suit up, darling. - T"

A grin stretches across your face instantly. It's a wonder wake-up call, and you can practically taste the chaos, or maybe it's just the anticipation mingling with the coffee aroma. Whatever it is, you're ready to decode it and see what the reason behind Tony inviting you over there really is. Whatever it is, it's definitely better than staying home until Tony's back or until your friends are done with work.

First, you stare at your closet trying to decide the best outfits. It needs to be sleek yet casual,which isn't very easy but you manage to decide on it. As you step into the kitchen, the scent of coffee takes over you, and you can't resist pouring a cup to-go. With the note in hand, you drive through familiar streets, eager to reach your destination. Stark Industries looms on the horizon, always a beautiful sight.

Entering the bustling building, you navigate the busy halls with an added bounce in your step. You can't help but smile at the familiar chaos that is Tony's empire, especially since it feels even more chaotic right now than usual. You don't find Tony in his office, nor in his lab, which makes you wonder where he might be.

"Excuse me, do you know where Tony is?" you randomly ask one of the employees.

"Oh, Mr. Stark is probably in the conference room downstairs. The celebrations must still be going on" he replies.

"What celebrations?" you wonder.

"You haven't heard? Mr. Stark just- Maybe he should be the one breaking the news to you" he continues.

"Okay, thank you" you say skeptically.

Wondering what this all was about, you take the elevator downstairs and indeed, more and more noise starts coming. Definitely more people are on this floor and you walk through them until you find the conference room.

"Tony?" you call his name.

"Alice, you're here" he moves from his place over to you quickly.

"Yes, I am. I got your note" you smirk and show him the note.

"Here, let's get you a drink" he takes your hand and walks further inside the room.

"Tony, it's 11 in the morning" you chuckle.

"It's fine, it's a special occasion" he pecks your lips before grabbing a glass of champagne.

"What is the occasion exactly?" you accept the glass.

"Oh, right, my bad" he chuckles.

He still doesn't answer your question, not until you reach Pepper. She's definitely much more happy than usual, and that's also the first time you've seen her drinking during work hours.

"Say hello to the new CEO of Stark Industries" Tony says with excitement.

"What?" you shoot your eyes wide open.

"I know it's sudden but trust me, I've thought a lot about this" he raises his glass first and then you all follow him.

"Congratulations, Pepper" you say before you're all clinking your glasses.

"Thank you" she smiles.

You enjoy this glass of champagne all together with a lot of laughter and chill vibes. All the people around you also are having the time of their lives, some pop up and congratulate Pepper every now and then. But as soon as you're alone with Tony you can't help but ask him all your questions.

"Are you alright?" you ask him with worry.

"I've never been better" he sounds so happy.

You're back in his office, just the two of you. People apparently needed to get back to work after all their big breaks.

"Why would you do that? Stark Industries are peaking right now, there's practically no competition" you state your concerns.

"That's exactly why I needed to take a step back" he takes a seat on the leather couch and waits until you join him.

"What does that mean?" you're even more confused.

"Getting all those clients only means more work. Last thing I want to do anymore is spending the majority of my time working" he explains.

"So what does that mean? You're retiring?" you're shocked.

"Yes and no. I'm still the owner of the company and hold the stocks. I just won't be here all the time to attend meetings and sign stupid papers. Pepper can finally have them all signed in time like she always wanted" he jokes.

"Honestly, her life will become significantly easier" you chuckle.

"And yours will become much more interesting" he looks at you with a smirk.

"Oh, really?" you ask playfully.

"Definitely. I have plans for us, my dear" he pulls you closer to him.

"Are you going to tell me what those plans are?" you use your teasing tone.

"I'm making all your dreams come true, of course" he says like it's the simplest thing.

"I'm pretty sure you're already doing that" you giggle.

"I'm talking about more than what I'm already doing. Just keeping my wife happy" he smiles.

"Your wife is the happiest person on the planet" you rest your hand on his chest and connect your lips.

It's one of those kisses that feel like the time has stopped. The only thing that matters is feeling his irresistible lips moving along with yours. Feeing his hands hold onto you tighter and tighter.

"What can I do to make my husband happy?" you ask after breaking the kiss.

"That's easy. You just need to exist. To be you" he caresses your face with his fingertips.

"Stop it, I'm blushing" you giggle.

"Alright. How about we drink to celebrate our retirement?" he suggests.

"Aren't we a bit young to announce retirement?" you laugh.

"Sweetheart, I could retire at 20 and still have money for the rest of our lives" he brags.

"Of course you could, Mr. Billionaire" you shake your head amusingly.

"Cheers to "retirement" then, Mrs. Stark" he raises his glass.

"Cheers, baby" you clink your glass against his.

You both take a sip and take in the moment. A moment of peace and quiet. A moment of silence. The future just keeps on looking brighter and brighter with Tony by your side, and you can't wait to explore every second of it.

The realization that Tony is not retiring in the traditional sense offers a sense of relief. The plans he hints at for the future spark your curiosity and excitement. You can't help but be intrigued by the prospect of more adventures, less paperwork, and a life filled with the things you both truly enjoy.