35.

Taehyung took a deep breath as he approached the table where Jungkook sat. He hadn't spoken to him in almost three months.

Ever since Hoseok got his transplant, he didn't return to the usual desk next to him. At first he thought he'd come back after Hoseok left the hospital but he never did. Chan had occupied his spot now.

Taehyung wiped his sweaty hands on his scrubs as he made his way past the busy cafeteria. His heart beat faster once Jungkook got closer.

"Good morning. Can I sit here?"

Jungkook looked up a little surprised to see Taehyung but nodded in agreement. He sat and awkwardly smiled trying to not stare too much since he'd interrupted his breakfast.

"Happy late birthday. I know I'm a month late."

Jungkook grinned, "Thanks! Yeah. We haven't seen each other lately."

"We really haven't. How's everything? I heard you moved to the pediatric floor."

"Oh it's great. I saw Yoongi recently and he's—I mean no. I didn't see him." Jungkook said, realizing that he wasn't supposed to say that.

Taehyung sighed, "Yeah. He manages to sneak out still. I keep telling him not to."

"I know. He's hardheaded. How are you liking Chan taking my spot? I bet he's easier to deal with." He chuckled attempting to lighten the mood.

"Maybe a little but I still miss you."

Jungkook's smile changed. It was no longer a happy teasing one. It had slightly faded and was sad. Forced. Reheated.

"Me too."

"Are you doing okay? Our last conversation wasn't the best. I didn't want to be annoying. I wanted to give you space and time."

"I'm doing well. I really am. I'm still working out like crazy. I'm learning new things on the pediatric floor. I'm doing okay. I hope you are too."

Jungkook truly sounded sincere. It made Taehyung feel much better about the situation. He a little felt less guilty.

Taehyung nodded in response, "Yeah. I am. I just wanted to check up on you."

"I'm fine. I bet you're excited to start school."

"You remembered."

"Of course." Jungkook grinned.

"Thank you Jungkook. I don't think I ever got to thank you for the time we spent together."

Jungkook's smile tightened and the bittersweet sensation fell over him once again. "We didn't work out but the time spent together was nice. I wish you the best Taehyung."

He nodded, "Me too Jungkook. I hope you find your happiness."

They exchanged one final smile before Taehyung got up from the table. Jungkook didn't look away until Taehyung disappeared past the door.

He was still hurt, but he felt much better now. At least now he got the closure he needed. It would be easier to move on now.

•••

"I'm surprised I didn't see you out there today." Jimin said as soon as he stepped through the door. His voice was a little shaky.

Yoongi played it off cool, but inside he was freaking out. His heart was racing, his stomach queasy and his hands clammy.

Jimin didn't want to make it obvious either but he felt the same way. Yoongi took a seat by the window and started mixing his pudding.

"Oh yeah. I couldn't sneak out. Taehyung has been on my ass. Apparently he talked to Jungkook and he mentioned seeing me recently. He's not too happy about that."