nine

1048 words (band filler)

after dinner, i part from my family and text the groupchat yet again.

s: r we 🥩ing @ jimmys again??

k: what the fuck does that mean

j: i support you. however, i politely decline your homosexual intercourse offer. i think we as a society should get rid of stereotypes for homosexuals in our modern times. if you ever feel alone, there's tons of help lines you can call for reassurance on your sexual orientation.

s: ??

k: can you drive yet

s: no

k: then habe your dad pick up me and butters in like 10 minute pls

j: blud did NOT consent to this 😭🗣️🙅💯🔥

after convincing, i finally get my dad to drive me, kenny, and butters over to jimmys house to practice.

"you should let me hear you guys sometime! don't forget i was in a band when i was your age."

"what was your band name mr marsh??" butters says from the backseat. he chuckles maliciously. "..well boys, it's quite the story. our band name was grss, pronounced "gross" and the story behind the name? heh.. let's save that for another day."

the car goes quiet (for once) and we all cringe at him.

luckily, we finally make it to jimmys house and my dad drives off, hitting a trash can on his way out. we set up in jimmys basement again, and we start discussing which band to do next concert.

"well, this concerts for stan's big 17th birthday party, so isn't fair if he gets to decide?" butters proposes. i like that idea. since IM the birthday boy, i think i should decide what musics being played.

"stan can s-suck it because fellas- even if it's stan's b-b-birthday, we're still a band and we all decide on something tog-together."

i rolle my eyes and lay backwards into the couch. i start scrolling on instagram and decide to do an instagram poll.

"what are our four main options right now?" i ask them.

"smiths, the cure, radiohead, and weezer." kenny answers.

"a-all those bands are so gay. othe-other than weezer of course ." jimmy adds matter-of-factly.

"we'll let the PEOPLE decide what they wanna hear." i tell them. they look at eachother for assurance, and they agree to let other people decide what we play.

i set down my phone on the couch and look at the guys, but their already looking back at me.

"..what?"

"well?? how's the redhead??" kenny asks eagerly

"oh my goshhh guyyyssss it's not even that big a dealll.." i say, readjusting myself so i'm laying on my stomach, facing kenny.

"we're just talking guysss... like seriously drop itttt.." i say giddy, trying not to giggle.

"did you guys hook up?"

"NO! no jimmy gross! i looked at him MAYBE twice during the concert.. it's not even like we're married or anythjngggf.." i say, kicking my feet.

"i saw you guys talking in study hall today!" butters announces like a little pussy.

"fellers!! o literally just said drop it." o say giggling. then i feel my phone vibrate and i look to see an instagram notificstion.

kybrof526 followed you on instagram. say hi! 👋

"GUYS HE FOLLOWED THE BAND ON INSTAGRAM!!" i announced rather loudly. i look up to see nobody caring. jimmys scrolling through his phone, kenny's spinning on his stool, and butters is trying to figure out his amp.

"oh look this f-f-fa-g even voted on the poll, and commented. the comment says "THE CURE" with a ton of a-angry emojis." jimmy says, going on about the emojis he used to express his anger over the phone.

i laughed and put my phone back down.

just then, jimmys mom came down with a plate of mozzarella sticks and marinara sauce.
"hey boys i made mozerella sticks for you guys. you sound amazing! holler if you need anything!!" she says placing the plate on the tv stand next to the couch.

kenny stops spinning and smiled at mrs.valmer. "thx mrs.valmer before you go, what band do YOU think we should cover next?" he says smiling 'innocently' at her.

"well what are your guys' options?"

"so far we have disintergration by the cure, the bends by radiohead, meat is murder by the smiths, and pinkerton by weezer." butters buts in.

jimmys mom stand there for a moment thinking and answers with the bends. i'm shocked she knows who radiohead is, nonetheless their second album.

the same moment that jimmy mom walks away, kenny starts chuckling maliciously.

jimmy whips his head around to kenny and starts scolding him for having a crush on his mom.

after a few hours of shitting around, we looked back on instagram to see that there was a pretty close vote between the bends and pinkerton, but the bends won by 5 votes.

after a detailed discussion and bracket board, we decided on five songs from the bends we would play. and because pinkerton was the runner up, we'd play three songs from that album.

we decided on:
- My Iron Lung
- Black Star
- The Bends
- Planet Telex
- (Nice Dream)
- El Scorcho
- Get With Me tonight
- Pink Triangle

and from now until october 21, we'd just have to work on learning the songs a few times a week. i'm honestly really excited. souly because the bends is my favorite album from my favorite artist. and i know that the bends isn't as deep in meaning or lyrics as the other radiohead albums, but i still love the overall sound of the album, and i think jonny greenwood carried the entire album on his back with the guitar. the vocals are just as fun, and kenny could get sort of a break on the bass.

as for pinkerton, rivers doesn't have insane vocal range in this album, so it should be fun giving my vocals a break after doing thom yorkes vocals all night.

eventually, my dad came and drove us all home. at this point, it's around 10:30 on a school night. i didn't get any time to talk to kyle, but i'll see him in school tomorrow so it should all be ok.

a/n
i've been writing out this story in my apps recently and i'm so excited to get to some later chapters