Prologue

Jericho

There's no time to think as I hear Damien shout Edens name. I turn my back to the ogre swarm I'm currently ripping to pieces, only to find my mate hurdling towards a portal that leads to absolutely nothing but a black abyss.

There's no time to decide, no time to think of a better way to do this as I use my speed to reach her barely in time as she's about to vanish from my sight, knocking her out of the way with more force than necessary.

Once within reach of the portal it almost seems to pull me in, grabbing me with some unseen force as I'm swallowed by the darkness as I watch my mates fearful eyes vanish from view.

Leaving me in a realm that doesn't exist in the same way most do.

Aries has sent me to a prison there is no escape from. That much is clear as I try to teleport or summon a portal, nothing seeming to work, my magic seeming to cease to exist in this place.

"Fuck!" I scream out into the nothingness.

I'm useless here! I can't protect my mate, can't help Damien fight, and can't take down that god forsaken witch!

FUCK!

My mind is racing as I try to think of a way back. A way out.

Anything.

But there's nothing. I stand on a ground I cannot see, for I see nothing here. Even my skilled Reaper eyes don't detect any form of light or life. I'm truly alone and trapped in a fucking abyss with no way out.

It hits me like a ton of bricks as I slump down, feeling drained beyond reason. Even after a lengthy and well fought battle I don't feel this weak.

"Curse you Aries! You fucking whore!"

I'll lose my mind in here. I can handle punishment, I've taken Hades whips to my back more times than I can count, my own fault for always going against his orders.

But this.. this isn't punishment.

This is torture.

Left with nothing but my own thoughts to keep me company. Thoughts of my mate in danger without me there to protect her. Thoughts of Damien having no one at his side to help in battle.

Thoughts of failure.

I have to find a way back, I have to.. have to stop feeling so.. drained..

Fuck.

My anger grows stronger as my body grows weaker.

What the fuck is this? Is this place draining my powers? Or is it draining my life force? Either way I've never felt such weakness course through my body.

I refuse to succumb to it so easily, I'll fight whatever the fuck this feeling is till I can't any more. I won't give up knowing my mate needs me.

Does time even pass the same in this place? Have I truly been gone only a few moments? Or has more time passed beyond this darkness that I remain within?

I force myself to stand up, trying to remain conscious. Can't get out of this hell hole if I'm fucking asleep.

It seems like hours quickly turn into days as my strength gradually leaves me in waves. I learned quickly the more I try to escape, the more it eats away at what strength I have left.

So I've sat here in this abyss, cursing Hades and all the other gods for the position I'm in.

Useless. I'm utterly fucking useless.

The last of my strength leaves me like a breath of air as I fall over from where I was kneeling on the ground, by the time my head hits the floor I'm already unconscious.

But if I would have known this is what awaited me in my sleep, I would have given in long ago.

It's as if her presence is all around me, seeking me out.

It's as if I can feel Edens emotions, and it's almost too much. The utter despair she feels makes my soul want to cry out.

But I don't understand it. Is this despair for me? Have I truly left my mate feeling such anguish?

I long so badly to reach out and comfort her within my arms, but I'm so weak I don't know if I can call out her name even in this dream-like state.

Her voice could disrupt the very skies above as it echoes around me, surrounding me in her rage and sorrow, blanketing me within her souls torment.

"I promise, Jericho. I promise to you I'll kill her and get you back. I promise to save you! I'll bring you back to me!" Her voice calls out to me.

My Eden. My beautiful mate. She calls out to me even in this darkness. Though I hate knowing she's in such a state, being able to sense her brings me comfort in such a bleak situation as the one I'm currently in.

Is she searching for me? Would she even know where to look? I don't know where Aries sent me, I wouldn't be any assistance to Eden in helping her find me.

Would I truly want her to even come to such a place to rescue me? I don't know if I could ask such a thing from her. What if she became trapped in this prison as well? I'd never be able to forgive myself. Surely this place is draining me of my magic and life. It would happen much quicker for Eden.

No. I can't let her fall victim to this fate as well. I must make my way back to her another way. I have to find a way out of this myself.

Her sorrow continues to cry out to me, and I try to find my strength within her weakness. I am her mate, if she doesn't feel strong I must become her strength.

I wish to cry out to her, to tell her I will find my way back to her and that when I do I will kiss away all her tears she sheds, vowing to never let her feel such despair again.

But I'm so weak..

Relief floods my bones, and at first I don't know the reason for the sudden sense of comfort, but then I realize this is another emotion I'm sensing from my mate.

Eden has found temporary comfort from her sorrows, though the ghost of despair remains, tainting every emotion I feel from her.

Within her comfort I feel a glimmer of hope, it ignites something within me, giving me the only bit of strength I've sensed since entering this place.

I dig deep within my own consciousness, begging to just get one word to fall from my mouth, anything to let her know I can feel her soul searching for mine.

I must get back to you.. My..

"EDEN."

1,139 words.