Five

Eden

"What do you mean my magic is feeding off of Damien?" I question Persephone, horrified by the idea I've been unknowingly leeching off of him.

"You're a Reapers mate, their mere presence strengthens your magic. Although none as much as Jericho." She confirms to me.

I had thought it was just me leaving the forest that had my magic practically humming through my veins, it seems I was wrong.

"Is this what's been compelling her to seek me out?" I turn my head towards Damien, feeling awful about everything that's happened between us here lately.

"I'm not sure about that, I'd have to look into things more, if that's something you'd like me to do?" She asks mischievously.

"For now I'd like to strictly focus on finding Jericho, if you don't mind." We don't have time to waste looking into why I sought Damien's presence. The only thing that matters to me right now is the possibility of a breakthrough in finding Jericho.

Persephone's expression becomes serious. "You're right. My theory is that if you can fall asleep and dream of where he is clearly I can use my seer abilities to see into your dream and find his location."

"There's nothing to see though, it's just endless darkness."

"You think that matters? My eyes will see what others cannot. I will be able to know his location just by sensing his presence through you." She says confidently.

"I'm willing to try anything. What do I need to do?" I ask eagerly.

"I just need you to fall asleep like usual," She pauses and looks at Damien. "with him this time of course, we'll need him to strengthen your connection by strengthening your magic."

"So I need to fall asleep with Damien, with you present?"

"Yes, that shouldn't be a problem considering you two have been-"

"Yes, okay, enough. When can we do this? Now?" I'm ready to get my mate back and any second wasted is more time Jericho is forced to wait.

"Are you tired?" She questions.

"No, but Damien sometimes uses a sleeping spell on me that works, we could just do that?"

She turns to Damien to glare at him. "You've been doing what?"

"She needs it sometimes, it doesn't hurt anything to use a little magic to sleep." He defends his actions. I honestly never minded, but now I wonder why Persephone seems so displeased with it. That'll be for another time, though.

"Just, yes or no?" I ask a little too loudly.

She pouts her lips before answering. "Very well. Come to a spare room to lie down."

"Oh goddess! Thank you so much! I truly can't repay your kindness." I say to her with a slight head bow. Although she doesn't demand anyone to address her as such, she is the queen of the underworld, sometimes I forget to show my respects to her, not that she's ever said anything.

Damien doesn't say anything as we follow Persephone down the halls and into a spare bedroom. The room has dark grey walls with white crown moulding, there are two strikingly white chairs in a corner near a small reading table, and a large bed with red satin blankets sits in the center of the room.

Persephone points to one of the chairs and motions for Damien to move it beside the bed, he does so quickly without complaint.

I look at Damien and then awkwardly at the bed and the lovely woman sitting beside it. I put my feelings aside as I kick off my shoes and climb into the bed, not getting under the blankets, trying to make this as non-intimate as possible.