Chapter 15

The two of you had little sleep that night, and for a reason you'd be able to guess. You woke up with the buzzing of your watch and forced your eyes open, your head on Natasha's chest as the redhead snored softly, her arm around you in a protective manner.

You didn't want to wake her, wanting her to get as much sleep as she wished but you knew she would be upset with you if you let her sleep in any later than you, something she hated doing. You propped yourself up a little, using your hand for balance on the other side of her torso and leaned down to cover her cheek in light butterfly kisses, smiling to yourself when she started to stir awake. "Wake up sleepyhead." You whispered as you pulled back and her grip on you tightened a fraction, her eyes squeezing together at the sun's bright rays.

"Not yet buttercup," She whispered, her voice hoarse with her morning voice, "five more minutes." She wrapped both her arms around you, pulling you into her with a tighter grip and you gave in, laying on her chest as you giggled lightly at her tired state.

"And you call me lazy." You whisper, mostly to yourself as you remembered your conversation before the big event happened, reminiscing about the time when the simple phrase became a thing the two of you would always refer to. "Oh!" you perk up, lifting your head up with a sudden burst of energy, "that reminds me actually, rem-" She put her hand to your mouth, cutting you off mid-sentence.

"Shh, I'm too tired to remember what it is later." You chuckled before giving in, laying back down on her and continuing to lay with her until she was. ready to get up.

-

5 minutes in the morning turned into an extra 4 hours, the two of you waking up at 12pm instead of the planned time of 8am. Natasha was up in the attic trying to find something you mentioned the other day, an important planner the man who set you up on that one mission gave you all that time ago. You had forgotten that you had it, but when Tony brought up the situation, you remembered roughly where it was.

You moved around the kitchen, making coffee for both you and Nat after she told you she would look instead of you, although she had less of an idea of where it was than you did. As you looked into your backyard through the kitchen window, you made a mental note to buy some more plants for your garden that had failed over the months, showing no sign of life anymore.

Your phone buzzed in your back pocket, and you pulled it out looking at the notification that had come through. It was a message from Kate.

Kate: Hey Y/n, sorry that it's random but please could I speak with you?

You typed a reply as soon as you read the message, not letting the girl worry about you turning her away.

Y/n: of course, you can come over or I could meet you somewhere?

Kate: Would you be able to come over to my place? I could use some help over here

Y/n: Send me your address

She typed and once the message was sent, you copied and pasted it into your maps seeing that she wasn't too far from you, so you told her you'd be over within the hour.

Setting your phone down on the side, you heard the ladders being used so you made your way up the stairs, smiling at what was in Nat's hand. "I see you've found Monty." You offered her drink to her, and she took it with a grateful smile.

"Monty?" she questioned, looking down at the soft toy in her hand.

"Yeah, that's his name." You chuckled lightly and accepted it when she held it out to you.

Looking down at the beige colored Labrador plushie you packed away a few years ago when you had first moved here, you smiled slightly to yourself when you remembered all the nostalgia that came back with the sight of it. The toy wasn't something you had an attachment too, hence why it was packed away in a box full of dust far out of reach from anyone and anything but there was once a time you would never put it down, always needing to have it by your side just like it was a part of you.

"I never thought of you having a childhood toy," she smiled at you softly, taking in the sight of you allowing all the nostalgia to flow through your body with such ease.

You half shrugged, handing it back to her, "he was the only thing that was mine really, it never felt like I owned him, always like I had an extra friend if anything." Taking a sip of your coffee, you cleared your throat when you realized no one knew about Monty.

"He's cute," she commented, inspecting the plushie as she slowly turned it in her hand taking a good look at it.

"Kate wants me to go over, she says she wants to talk about something." You informed, following her into your room where she set Monty down on the bed causing you to fight back a smile.

"I need to take these papers over to Tony, but make sure you let me know when you get there. I can't have you disappearing again." Looking through your closet you chose a simple outfit, some jeans and a grey sweatshirt to pull together.

"I will do, do you know what time you're expecting to be back here?" You looked at her over your shoulder for a moment before entering the bathroom so you could change and do your morning routine, not having done it yet.

"I'll be about an hour if everything goes well, if there's any changes, I'll give you a call. What about you?" She began to change in the bedroom, her outfit already being decided so she didn't need to look for anything. A benefit to being organized.

"Hopefully not too long."