Chapter 20

"And we're here." You announce as you pulled up in the driveway, confused when you saw no sight of Nat's car close by. She hadn't spoken a word to you throughout the rest of the drive either. Weird.

The two of you got out of your car and he followed behind you when you walked up to your door.

Sliding the key into the lock, your hand reached for the handle but paused when you felt the cold barrel of a gut at the back of your head. "Just precautions," great.

Pushing the door open, you silently hoped Nat really wasn't home for multiple reasons. One, you'll be dead the second she comes into sight, two, she'll never allow you to take up work again and three, she'll be more than pissed with you at even allowing this to happen.

You were pissed at yourself by this point, you saw the gun in the car, why didn't you even think about this happening? He wasn't someone who anyone could mess with so why would he randomly walk into a place he'd never been in before with no form of weapon in hand and used as a threat? This was going to make your work so much harder now. And the worst part about all of this was you had no base to convince him to put the Goddamn thing down.

But regretting your slip-ups won't change the situation, you needed to think, and you needed to be smart about this. Your eyes quickly scanned the room for anything to help but everything was out of reach and there was no way they would compete against a gun either way. You needed to be smarter than that. Usually, you would have used your powers to melt the gun as it would have melted the barrel together quicker than what it would take to even fire the thing, and even if it were to go off afterwards, nothing would happen.

"Why are you stalling?" He seethed, clearly being unsettled by your odd behavior but you couldn't allow him to stress more than he was as he wouldn't think twice about ending your life.

"I need to find the keys for the basement." You mustered up a lie and he huffed, whether as an agreement or out of anger, you didn't know. He wasn't in your line of sight and that alone through you off. But you knew you could do it. You just knew it. "Are you going to let me look or are you going to keep that thing on me? because if you are then I'm afraid we'll be in this exact spot all day." He didn't say anything, falling completely silent until you felt him lower his hand from your head and you turned to face him, squinting at him in disapproval "don't do that again, I can't help you if you don't trust me."

"Like I said, precautions." He held both his hands up in a surrender gesture before slipping it into the back of his belt and you nodded in approval before making your way to the kitchen, opening every drawer and pretending to look for the keys that you knew didn't exist.

When he lingered in the hall, you went to the far side of the kitchen as you opened some cabinets, making enough noise to convince him you were doing something productive. "Nat?" You whispered, knowing if she still had her earpiece, she would have heard you, "kinda need your help right now." You looked over your shoulder, making sure he wasn't in the same room as you because he would have easily caught onto what you were doing.

Climbing onto a chair to search the top of the fridge, your eyes widened in surprise before a grateful grin set itself on your lips. The perks of living with an assassin.

"Right this way." You ordered as you left the kitchen, leading him to the right of the kitchen where the door to the basement stood, a place you've never really used. The weapon of your pick sat in the waistline of your jeans, uncomfortably digging into your hip with each step you took as it was only a matter of time before he spotted the new lump on your hip.

"I have high hopes for you, what is down here?" His accent came out thick, gesturing towards the dark stairs.

"Why don't you find out for yourself, I'm not one to spoil surprises." He took a step down and you followed him closely behind, not wanting him to spook and take you down within seconds.

The wooden stairs creaked as it supported the weight of the two of you and he looked around the wall, most likely looking for a light switch of some sort and you took the opportunity to discreetly take out Nat's pistol before aiming it at the back of his knee and pulling the trigger, smirking to yourself when he toppled down the last few stairs with a loud scream.

"You lying bitch!" He screamed, clutching the back of his leg as he rolled on the cold concrete floor.

"Don't be so dramatic, it was an accident." You shrugged innocently as you slowly walked over to him, stepping on his hip to hold him down before taking his own gun out of his possession in case anything was to go wrong.

"You don't have accident with gun!"

"Whoops." aiming it at his thigh, you took another shot to be safe, knowing that he wouldn't be able to get up and chase after you if he had it left in him.

Leaning down to pat his pockets in case he had any more weapons on him, you missed how he reached for something in his pocket and felt a burning shoot down your bicep. You winced, kicking at his shot wound before clutching your numb arm when the sound of the front door flung open with a loud crash. "Y/n?" You heard Nat call out in a panicked tone. Shit.

You let go of your arm and hoped she wouldn't notice the wound due to your jacket, but the blood alone was a giveaway. Either way, you were okay and now that Nat was here, she could get Tony to send someone over to collect the man.

"You're not getting away with this!" He yelled behind you followed by a grunt of pain when you left the basement to catch Nat looking around frantically, her eyes landing on you and her eyes softened yet filled with worry when she noticed the gun in your hand.

"What happened to your face?" You dropped the gun to the floor before rushing over to her, taking her face in your hands as you examined the cuts and bruises on her face.

"I'm so sorry, I tried getting here as quick as I could. Are you okay?" She scanned your body, checking for anything and her eyes landed on your arm, her movements slowing down at the realization.

"Nat, it's nothi-" You tried but she was already taking the jacket off your shoulders, and you winced when the fabric pulled over the fresh wound. You hadn't yet looked at it, assuming it was a stab wound but when you looked down at your arm, you saw a small slice through your arm, luckily not deep enough to cut through any muscles. That could have been worse. "See, nothing!" You offered weakly.

"This is the last time Y/n, I mean it." She warned you and you hung your head low at her stern tone before she tilted your chin up to force your eyes to meet hers, "we'll take care of that, okay? Did he get you anyway else, detka?"

"Nope, shot him twice though." You smiled proudly as you pulled back from her hold and led her over to the door of the basement, staring down at the man who was no longer moving or making any noise, "think he's dead." You stated with a shrug, and she pinched the bridge of her nose as she took her phone from her pocket, most likely calling Tony to deal with this mess.