Chapter 26

"Have you ever done this before?" You asked Peter as you held the helmet under your arm as you waited for the next lot of people to be allowed in the karts.

"I did once with Ned, I didn't do very well though." He scratched his neck as he watched the karts race pass, he was excited but clearly nervous about it.

"You'll be fine, kid. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great." You encouraged him as you put your hand on his shoulder, supporting your words with your action.

"I hope so." It wasn't long before everyone was seated in their karts, you were placed behind the first two, Peter in front of you, and he turned around throwing his thumbs up at you to show you he was okay, which made you feel better about it.

The beeps counted down from three before the final one rang out and everyone set off, racing each other trying their hardest to compete. You could tell who had been here before and who was here on their first-time round, the more advanced racers were smart with their driving, instead of going as fast as they could always. You lost sight of Peter when you passed him, laughing to yourself when you did.

The race went on, a few people hitting you as the time passed. Being hit from behind, you jerked forward, and you couldn't help but the remember the time you got the air knocked out of you, easily winding you, on the bumper karts that you and Evelyn went on a few years back. She thought it would be fun, and it was, but the feeling of not being able to breathe and the pain in your stomach was something you were never going to forget. Since that day you never got in a single bumper kart, you laughed to yourself at the memory of overtaking kart 5 which put you in 3rd place.

Flying round the track, the laps coming closer to the final one, you were enjoying it a lot more than you thought you would. Peter was someone who always knew the best things to do to gain entertainment from them, it even had you wondering how some people, Steve for example, could live such a boring life, a life without ever looking for some form of fun. People really did baffle you.

Coming in at 3rd place, you stepped out of your kart and scanned the area to find Peter, only to have him step out of the kart in front of you in 2nd place. You shook your head with a smile on your face as he came up to you, celebrating about beating you in the race. You already knew you were never going to hear the end of this, but if he was happy, you were more than okay with it.

"Did you see me crash?" Peter asked and he came up beside you, laughing as he told you, "I thought I had whiplash for a moment." You laughed with him as you both headed to return the gear that had been given to you before leaving the place, making your way to the movies in your car.

"Tell me more about this MJ." You teased as you glanced at Peter in the passenger seat, noticing how his cheeks instantly blushed.

"She's my friend from school, she's really nice." He said, looking to the side out the window.

"Is that why you're blushing?"

"I- No, it's just really hot in here," He lied, and you laughed at him pulling at the neck of his shirt really trying to show how 'hot' it was.

"I'm good with secrets, kid, you can trust me with this." You tell him more seriously this time, he snapped his gaze towards you with his lips slightly parted. He contemplated his reply, before sighing deeply.

"I have a crush on her." He mumbled and you smiled at the younger boy, finding the situation adorable.

"Does she know?" You questioned as you stopped at a red light and he shook his head no, his lips sealed tightly, "why don't you tell her?"

"She's my friend, that's so awkward. I mean, what if... what if I ruin the friendship? I don't want to lose her as a friend."

"Can I tell you something?" He nodded for you to continue, and you set off driving again when the light turned green, "Wanda admitted that she had a crush on me too, I see her no differently. I still love her, she's always going to be my best friend, people can't control what they feel for others and if anyone judges you or sees you any differently over something you can't control, then they were never a friend you want to keep around anyway."