Chapter 22

The minute you step over the door, your relationship could be over. Would Nat really be considerate enough to come to terms with your choices? You needed to talk about the tension, and you knew that but what if it just blew up in a big mess? Your heart raced as you got closer to the door; this was really a 50/50 chance.

What would happen if you did break up? What would be left of you? You couldn't go back to the Avengers if you did, you would have to cut off all the friends you've made as every one of them is linked to Natasha in some way. You would have to pack up everything and move far away to avoid any interactions with anyone. Wipe out each memory of her, throw away pictures and replace whatever clothes reminded you of her; Everything she had touched, slept in or just looked at would need to be thrown out far out of your reach. You couldn't go through that, and you couldn't imagine life without her, the sickening swirl in your gut proved that. But if things continued you would have no other choice.

Now was the moment your future would be decided.

The keys jingled in your hand when you removed them from the unlocked door and threw them on the table to the side, slipping off your shoes you let out a shaky breath as you prepared yourself for the worst. "Nat?" You called out and heard some movement in the kitchen. That woman must live in there at this point.

The door to the kitchen opened and your anxiety dropped at the sight. She stood there in a skintight black dress, the table covered in candles as she held a bouquet of roses in her hand with an apologetic smile on her face, "Na-"

"Don't say anything," she cut you off as she made her way over to you, "I've been thinking a lot and we have a lot to talk about, nothing for you to worry about, but I wanted to say I'm sorry for acting the way I have with you for a while and thought to make it up to you. I'm not losing you, no matter what gets between us. We talk it out, maybe argue about it, but we make up and carry on, okay? You're not leaving, and neither am I. I've lived life without you after falling in love with you, Y/n, and I've never known pain quite like that before, so I won't allow my selfish ways to split us again. I feel like I was too focused on how it would affect me to know you got hurt, but I never took into consideration what you really wanted to do and for that I'm sorry. I know this isn't much, but I just hope it's enough for you to understand how sorry I am for these past weeks and if it makes you feel any better, we can go to that aquarium you were talking about." Smiling like an idiot with her words, you fought back the happy tears that were threatening to escape.

"I understand where you were coming from but thank you for realizing in the end, but you're right, you're not losing me." You confirmed and she smiled, feeling relieved, "on one condition."

"Anything." Her posture straightened, her eyes quickly scanning the floor in an act of nervousness.

"You keep your promise by coming to the aquarium with me, I really want to see stingrays and like so many colorful fish, oh! and little seahorse!" She laughed at your rant, shaking her head as her eyes held nothing but adoration as she listened to you ramble.

"I will keep my promise."

"I love you," You smiled and cupped her face, pressing your lips against hers in a sweet kiss, "say it back." You lightly demanded as you pulled away slightly.

Her smile softened, quickly kissing the small pout off your lips, "I love you too, buttercup. Now, take these," she held the roses out to you, and you grinned as you took them from her, your heart warming at the small gesture.

"These are beautiful, thank you." You pecked her lips once more.

"Join me for dinner?" Holding her hand out in gesture, you narrowed your eyes at her with a curious smile before taking her hand and following her into the kitchen.

She had decorated the area beautifully, candles illuminating the room in a warm, comforting light, rose petals neatly scattered around the table and the kitchen sides, an expensive looking wine seated in the middle of the table which was covered in a white tablecloth and of course the flowers she had gotten you. She had chosen to make steak for the two of you and even added in a nice gesture of wrapping the cutlery in red napkins to make the meal more romantic.

You could see she had put effort into this meal, and it made you love her even more, if that were even possible at this point.

The serious topic got left until the two of you were done eating. The conversations flowed nicely, and you couldn't stop complimenting her cooking skills, even going as far as listing it in your top 10 meals.

"There's something I need to tell you." She began and you placed down your wine to show her she had your full attention.

"What is it, love?"

"I quit the team," Your eyebrows furrowed in slight confusion, wondering why she would ever even think of doing that, " I actually quit a while ago, all the paperwork I've had to do was for my final mission which I've completed and followed by them was basically a confirmation to cut all contracts."

"That must have been a difficult choice, why have you decided to do that though?"

"Honestly it was easier than I expected," she shrugged and sipped on her wine before answering your question, "and I guess I just decided I wanted a normal life, with you. Our life won't always be easy, or quiet, but I wanted to end the one thing that put me at most danger so I could live life with you without any worries. I think that's partly the reason I've been pissed at you wanting to start work again." Her explanation was said so simply but the way she spoke about it with so much ease made you fully understand what you really meant to her. She quit the one thing she loved most just to be with you every day for the rest of her life. God, you loved this woman so much.

"When you say it like that, I can understand why you've acted the way you have, and now I can't blame you for that. I guess I was just so scared of stopping the only thing I know that I never really thought about the effects it could have had on our future, but now that you've made a major step, I'll follow you. I'll stop putting myself out there in ways it could do me any harm and I won't go back to work, at all. I can do that for us."

"What I gathered from that is you want to settle down with me," she teased with a cheeky smile, and you rolled your eyes, sipping at your drink to hide your own smile.

"Hmm, you're close," You pointed at her, raising your eyebrows slightly "I was thinking more towards settling down with the blond sister." Her jaw dropped as she gasped in faux offense, placing her hand over her heart to really add to the dramatic gesture.

"Too far Y/l/n, too far."

"In fact, do I have your blessing to have her hand in marriage? I know I need that." You played more, stifling your laugh at her expressions.

"I hate you."

"I'll take that as a yes, I really appreciate it miss Romanoff, now do you think she'd prefer a big proposal or small? I really can't decide."

"Get up, we're going to watch a movie and if you bring up my sister once more, I'll chop your fingers off, so you'll never be able to wear a wedding ring, got it?" She warned and by the tone of her voice, it was clear she was holding back a laugh of her own and you couldn't help but love this conversation. It was fun messing with her and getting a good reaction out of her, even when she gets mad at you, you always get entertainment from it.

"Small proposal, got it! Thanks for your help," you replied innocently as you kissed her cheek before grinning at the blush that covered her cheeks despite the glare she was sending your way.