Chapter 12

You didn't even realize you had left your phone in the car until you got back to see hundreds of missed calls and texts from everyone asking where you had disappeared off to because they were getting worried. That was 4 hours before you saw the texts, if they weren't worried then they definitely were now.

But one thing you noticed was that Nat had only tried calling you once, no more than that and no texts followed by asking your whereabouts or even if you were okay.

There's no way she's still pissed at you because of the little scene during the game planning, right?

Wrong. Natasha could stay pissed at you for weeks over the smallest thing even without you knowing.

You called Wanda back and it rang twice before she picked up, "Y/n? Y/n go my gosh, where on earth have you been? We've been worried sick."

"I'm sorry, I left my phone in my car, and I lost track of time at the bookstore." You explained as you switched to hands free mode before you put the car into drive to speed off down the street, heading straight home.

"Just get back here safely, okay?"

"Actually, I'll see you tomorrow, I'm going back home for tonight." You told her as you took a right down the street, driving further away from the compound.

"Okay, drive safely. Love you."

"Love you too, Wands. Goodnight." You told her and she ended the call on her side, and you knew she would have told everyone you were okay if they weren't already with her during the call. But you wanted to know where Natasha was and if she was okay. She hadn't called you apart from that once 4 hours ago so what was going on?

If she was in trouble, Wanda would have told you to go to the compound instead of letting you go home, so you knew she was okay, which meant she's only chosen not to be okay with you.

The drive wasn't the longest and you pulled into the empty drive before you knew it. No lights illuminated the windows, so it looked like Nat wasn't there, you sighed to yourself before walking up the path and collecting your keys from your back pocket to unlock the door.

You stepped inside, throwing your keys onto the table nearby and slipping your shoes off by the door so you didn't leave a wet trail behind you as you ventured the first floor of your house.

"You're home." Natasha's voice called out bluntly from the kitchen, causing you to jump a little thinking she wasn't there.

"Really? I didn't know." You replied in a sarcastic manner, scoffing when she rolled her eyes at your words.

Nat stirred something in the pot that was on the stove, not taking her eyes off it to even spare you a second's glance, "I see you're still being like that."

"Me? You're the one who's been giving me the cold shoulder all day and for what? Because I turned my seat away from you? Grow up Natasha." You snapped, your anger burning your insides. You didn't want to argue with her but the way she's been acting gave you no choice.

"And then you disappear to God knows where for hours without answering any of my calls." Her voice was much calmer than yours, but you could tell she was pissed.

"You called once, have you even got an explanation for that?"

"I was with Bruce most of the day." You laughed, actually laughed at what you were hearing, "something funny?"

"Yeah actually, you've been shutting me out all day and for what? The one guy you had something with before me?"

"Oh, so this is you accusing me of still having something for him?" She tapped the wooden spoon on the side of the pot and cleaned off her hands under the faucet.

"No, I'm just telling you I don't appreciate the way you're acting with me without giving me a good reason why," You kept your eyes on her the whole time, your hands beginning to join in the action as they began to move when you spoke, "and you can't even look me in the eye for fuck sake."

"You really think all this is about earlier?" She snapped, throwing the hand towel onto the kitchen side as she spins around to finally make eye contact with you for the first time since you got home.

"Well, you're not giving me many options, are you?" You crossed your arms over your chest in a defensive manner, suddenly feeling smaller than before. Something was really changing with you, your confidence had sunk deep into the ground recently, buried and covered with dirt thick and heavy.

"You want your powers back; you want to start work again. Have you completely fucking forgotten that it killed you last time?" She hit the kitchen counter with the palm of her hand, growing even more frustrated with you, "have you lost your fucking mind Y/n?"

"Don't be a hypocrite, you've already began the process of starting again and you know that could kill you too so why you're using the to start this I'll never know." But you did know, you understood it all, but you didn't want to admit that to her, you wouldn't admit that to her. Not right now.

"I didn't fucking die already, you know you won't be that lucky next time."

"I'm not going to stop doing what I was made to do." You told her, you tone calmer this time, "I was only created as a weapon and you know that too, Natasha. I can't stop."

"But you've changed, you're not a weapon anymore Y/n." She sighed, stepping closer to you and you watched as she mustered your face in hope to see some reaction from you, but your expression was hard as stone, "you're more than your powers and that's what you're not understanding."

"I don't know anything else." You admitted in a whisper so low it barely reached your own ears. You haven't had this conversation with her yet, she had no idea what was happening inside your head each and every day as she was already going through so much confusion, from grieving the person she loved for months to which they randomly turn up on a random Thursday like they had never been gone. You didn't want to bother her with it all.

"Then talk to me, I'll help you adapt to it because I know it's a big change for you, but I can't allow you to go back to something that had already killed you once all because you're scared of living a different life."