Chapter 4

Three hard, long weeks had passed. Another three weeks without you. Natasha had grown better, coming to terms with the fact she was no longer going to see you again. She ended her break from work, got back into action working alongside the others during missions and getting herself back into training each day.

She didn't forget you, that wasn't the case, she didn't stop thinking of you, and she neither threw out anything that belonged to you. She had just decided to stop holding onto the hope that there was a chance to have you back.

Yesterday she went out with Yelena to a zoo on the outskirts of Manhattan after Yelena brought up the topic of giraffes. Being out, somewhere active and engaging, had done her more good than she would have thought and she regretted not doing something like it a lot sooner. Although the team had tried to convince her that being out would do her much good, she never believed that she'd be able to without you by her side. She had always felt alone since you passed.

The one thing she didn't know was that the day she had forced herself to stop grieving, Tony, Bruce and Wanda were one step away from bringing you back, if that were to work of course.

"I think it's best if you both step outside for this, go take a walk or something and I'll call for you if needed." Tony told the two, picking up the completed chip with a thin pair of tweezers, careful not to damage it.

Wanda had performed her magic on it after the party that was thrown to gather up your memories with the others. Nat didn't share hers, in fact, she left the second the topic got brought up as it became too much for her to bare. But Wanda, Yelena and Kate told the stories involving the both of you on behalf of her which helped immensely.

It wasn't an easy task for Wanda, it took her 6 tries to get it right, each of those being a 3 hour session. It drained her in many ways and she was close to giving up until the final try, when she created something huge. Almost like a new reality in the view of your eyes, almost like she was you in those moments. With her strength and great efforts, she closed it up after checking everything was right and Tony took the new form of magic and connected it with the chip alongside Bruce in the ways scientists and doctors do.

Bruce had his own part, checking the chip over to make sure everything was the same as the one you had before it lost its power, cutting off your life. There were many failed attempts, always something out of place or just not looking right in his eyes but he confirmed that the final piece was almost an exact replica to yours. The only changes being that it wouldn't cause you any harm like the past one did after failing on you many times which made you lose control of both yourself and your powers.

After the two left, Tony spent some minutes to himself, preparing for all possible outcomes and the possible speeches he would have to give to Wanda and Bruce after months of trying.

But that's the thing with him, he never gave up. Not if it included someone close to him, in these circumstances, that being you. He had told himself that he owed this to everyone, especially you and Nat. He couldn't let either of you down as he blamed himself for not getting to you in time, for not trying harder during the battle and for not being the one in your place when all actions occurred.

So this was him trying.

You had an empty grave, no one knew, only him. He had kept your body frozen far out of reach for anyone to find with multiple different locks, codes and security keeping you inaccessible to everyone but him. Yes it was creepy, maybe even weird.. no. It was weird. Very for that matter. But how could he have the chance to bring you back without, well, you know, without you.

So he threw away his doubts, all his negative thoughts and the second ones too as he entered the multiple minds to get to you.

And that's where you were.

Your body still well reserved, not even looking lifeless due to what he had done to keep you that way.

He took a deep breath, your back to him as you lay on your front ready for what he wanted to achieve.

He took his scalpel, slowly opened the back of your neck with steady hands which didn't match his heavy breathing, and watched as the fresh slice glistened up at him.

As he was getting closer to doing it, he didn't believe it would work. Not in the slightest. He felt stupid for even trying. But he attempted it anyway.

He took the chip, slowly lowering it in the back of your neck and watched how the golden thin connectors expanded out of the chip like a spider's web. They sunk deep into your blood, entering all parts of you, every limb, every muscle and every fiber. No one would know this if it weren't for the bright glow that radiated off them which caused Tony to shield his eyes with the inside of his elbow, backing away from you in the process.

It felt like minutes, hours even, yet it wasn't any more than 30 seconds until the light had disappeared. He dropped his arm and took a quick step to look at where the chip sat but it wasn't seen. Only now being coated in a fresh layer of blood.

"Shit. Fuck!" Tony hissed after checking for a pulse but finding nothing.

He clutched his head with his hands, anger and guilt building up inside him at his failed attempt.

After days, weeks, and even months of trying, it was all for nothing. No pulse. No movement.

He had failed at what he had wanted for such a long time. He felt like breaking down, sobbing like a teenager who didn't want to be heard. "I fucked it up," he sighed in a shaky release, clenching his jaw so hard that it began to hurt his teeth.

"Steve would kill you if he heard that."