Chapter 16

After being buzzed in, you made your way up the stairs to where Kate's apartment was. Three knocks and a few moments wait, hurried footsteps were heard and as soon as the door flung open, the younger girl wrapped her arms around your shoulders holding onto your tightly. "What's wrong?" You questioned as you hugged her back, suddenly growing worried for the girl after having no idea why she wanted you to come over.

"I'm scared, Y/n." Your heart sank, never seeing her like this before.

She had always been bright and overly bubbly, never allowing anything to get to her so if she was ever scared, like now, it must have been serious.

"What is it?" She pulled back, looking away awkwardly as she wiped away some stray tears that had fallen and gestured for you to come in.

You took a seat on her couch once she told you to and you watched as she paced back and forth through the space of her living room. Lucky lay in the kitchen, stomach full from his past meal and looking very asleep and as your attention fell on the dog for a beat of a moment, her pacing stopped followed by a shaky sigh.

"I'm being followed, I- I was approached by some older man and was questioned and when I gave answered he asked me to work for him, but I turned him down and now I see him everywhere I go, always hidden away but still in sight." The realization set in, she asked to see you out of everyone else because she knew about the mission you were set before joining the team, she trusted you with knowing how to turn it around.

"We'll get it under control, okay?" You assured her, looking up at her and she nodded trying to believe you, but you could still see the worry in her expressions, "have you told anyone else? The others? Clint maybe?"

"God no, I can't do that." You thought deeply about what to do, knowing if you were going to help you would have to tell Nat and there was no way she would allow you to risk your safety so soon. Even for something that wouldn't require your powers. Speaking of...

"You do know I don't have my powers anymore, right? I can help you but not in the way you may think." You informed her, standing up and pressing the pad of your thumb between her brows when you saw her attention was elsewhere, her eyebrows knitted together. She at once relaxed, offering you a small smile as a thank you but blushing in slight embarrassment when she realized what she had done.

"I know about that, but I trust that you're the only one who could help me and not look at me like a child in the process."

"I need you to tell me everything you know of him, when he came up to you, what he asked of you, etc." You told her seriously, making sure to remind her not to miss out any of the smallest details.

So, for the next hour the two of you created a mess of her coffee table. Sheets of paper scattering across the space, some falling onto the floor. She told you exactly when he came up to her, two weeks ago in the middle of an empty parking lot when she was waiting to meet up with one of her friends. He was older, as she had told you before, a scruffy gray stubble beard, a head of balding hair and a tattoo of a deer on his neck. Weird choice.

His hands were covered with fingerless gloves, but his fingernails weren't dirty. That was all she could remember of him, along with deep blue eyes and around 5"11. The description wasn't a lot, but it would be enough hopefully, especially if he seems to be everywhere she goes. A lot easier of a target to pick out.

The papers were covered in lines of ink, rough drawings of where Kate had been and a pinpoint of where he was during each of them. It was a lot, but he always seemed to stay the furthest he could from her whilst still having her in sight so if anyone were to see him, they wouldn't suspect a thing.

From what you've dealt with in your lifetime, you've always seen how far someone was willing to go to get you to do a job for them, bribing you with riches of all sorts and even go to find information of your personal life to help with the convincing. They were the type of people who wouldn't give up no matter what, even if there were plenty of other people for the job. If they have their eyes set on you, they won't ever take them off you. Like a lioness hunting a herd of wildebeests. There was no backing down.

Happy with the amount the two of you were able to get done in an hour, you took a break by eating a pot of ready-made Mac and cheese. It wasn't your favorite, but you'd never turn it down.

Your phone rang in your pocket, and you picked it up, accepting the call and putting it on speaker so you could continue eating.

"Hello?" You spoke and took another mouth full of your food.

"Hey, how's everything with Kate?" Nat spoke from the other side, and you looked over at the younger girl who shook her head rapidly, silently pleading with you not to tell her what's happened.

You thought about it for a beat, debating whether you should tell a small lie to her for the time being, but after remembering the way Kate was when you got her, there was a reason she wanted to tell you and you only.

"Good, we're just eating at the moment. How'd it go with Tony? Was it any use?" You questioned and smiled back at Kate when she mouthed a small 'thank you'.

"It should be, he's going to look more into it when he has the time to pinpoint the exact address of the man and things should take off from there." She explained and you nodded as you chewed, waiting until you swallowed to speak.

"That's relieving." You chuckled slightly, now poking at your food waiting for her to reply.

"You didn't tell me you got there." She reminded you, her voice quieter this time and your eyes widened slightly at the realization.

"I'm sorry, I completely forgot when I got here."

"It's okay, just don't forget next time. I'm on my way home but I'll see you when you get back, I love you." You heard a door close on the other end and you smiled to yourself before speaking up.

"Drive carefully, I love you too."