Chapter 7

She hadn't forgotten you.

You knew it by the way she clung onto you like you were going to slip away again, how she squeezed you tight and cried into your shoulder. She wasn't letting you out of her sight ever again and the two of you knew it. She pulled back and held your face softly in her hands, looking at you with pure adoration, relief but also a mix of all the pain she had felt over the past few months. You could see her confusion, her questions circling her pupils, but you knew she didn't want the answers right now. She just wanted you.

And she finally had you again.

"Please don't tell me this is another dream." Her hope was weak, and the sentence stung at your heart. You couldn't bear to imagine how long she had to go without you, all the nights suffering on her own because you knew she was never the one to reach out for help. You felt so guilty, and you couldn't help it.

"I'm here, Natalia." You promised her, and she couldn't help but smile at the sentence, nodding in acceptance at your words.

"You have no idea how much I've needed you, Y/n." You wiped her tears with the pad of your thumb as you shushed her, reminding her that you were standing in front of her. There. With her.

"I swear to you I'm not leaving, not again." She nodded rapidly, not being able to speak due to the tears she was trying her best to keep back before she leaned in and kissed you.

It was what you both needed, it wasn't rushed, hungry or even desperate. Every ounce of hurt she had been feeling disappeared the moment her lips met yours, like confirmation that you were real.

Neither of you could bring yourselves to pull back, too scared of the unknown that could come afterwards. You forgot everything, needing to break the news to the others, needing to explain to Evelyn what happened to you and how you needed to get back to work. None of it crossed your mind. All that mattered to you was the woman standing in front of you, kissing you with so much love. You never needed more than that.

The night grew darker, the streets went quieter as you and Natasha sat in your shared bed, cuddled up beside each other in the dim lit room. No tv was needed, no show, no movie and no music. The sound of each other's light breathing, the sound of your heart beating as Natasha's head lay on your chest and the soft hand holding was enough for the two of you to enjoy the moment.

You weren't wrong when you thought she wouldn't leave your side, because she hasn't since the second she saw you. You made dinner together and it hurt when you saw the look of panic on her face when she thought you were about to leave the room. Her losing you was something that really had really affected her and you were scared you weren't going to be able to help her with it.

"Does anyone else know you're... alive?" She whispered into the darkness of the room.

"Just you and Tony." You told her, placing a kiss on the top of her head in the hope of relieving whatever she was feeling.

"When are you planning on telling everyone?"

"Whenever you're ready too, I'd much rather stay here with you for as long as takes you to be ready too." She nodded slightly against you, understanding what you meant by the sentence. You weren't going to push her into rushing things, although it may seem stupid or even pointless, you wanted to make sure she was okay before surrounding the two of you with everyone before she had fully realized you were no longer gone.

"I wrote a lot," this caught your attention, she never seemed like the person to enjoy that, and you knew she never had free time to enjoy little things like that, "when you were gone, I found it easy to write."

"What did you write about?"

"I wrote to you." The words came out in almost a whisper, like she felt small for admitting it, "It sounds stupid I know-"

"It's not stupid Nat, I get it, and I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you."

"It's not your fault, it was just something that gave me some sort of closure, knowing that you weren't here but being able to speak to you in some way, even if it weren't directly." The lines you were tracing on her arm slowed down for a moment as you took in what she said but covered your reaction by moving to play with the strands of her hair.

"I've always been here, and I want you to know that no matter what happens, I'll love you. Like now, I still love you and I know I always will, even death couldn't tear me from you and that's been proven, but I promise you won't ever have to go through life without me, not again."

"I love you so much."

"And I love you with everything in me." The words lingered easily in the air, like comforting surroundings for the both of you.

"You've never opened up about how you grew up, when we first met there was the odd mention here and there, but you also lied so much that I've never known what was true and what wasn't." You knew this topic would come up one day and it seemed like right now was the time. She was right, you did lie a lot in the beginning and you both knew the reasons for it, but you never saw the need to speak of your past if you no longer lived in it. Sure, it created the person you are now, but that's the whole purpose of growing.

"Well, my parents, they were Russian as I've told you before, I have a brother that I don't talk to, and my parents don't want to know me. To them I was a failed experiment of theirs and they liked to make that known, always shutting me out when something was failing inside me but when everything was right, they loved to pretend to be real parents, always showing me off to people much higher up than them, to prove they were great at something," you've never taken your time to reminisce your childhood, but with Natasha you could be open about anything, "that's why when I started to, well, break, they threw me out because I was no longer something they could show off. They'd be viewed as weak and not good at what they worked for, so they erased me completely."

"Y/n, I'm so sorry. They have no idea what they've missed out on but in a way I'm glad they don't know you, because people as low as them don't deserve to know someone as great as you are."

"Don't be sorry, I was over it a long time ago, the only person I need in my life is you now."