Chapter 19

The next week was spent following Kate around whenever she would leave her house alone. She had pointed out the man a few times by sending you a simple message telling you exactly where she could see him, and you stuck to your promise by keeping an earpiece in at all times incase anything went south.

But today was the day that you had to make an approach to the man and that's exactly what you were about to do. You placed your sunglasses on your shirt and made sure your earpiece was working in case of any trouble before walking over to the man who was sat down on a bench a bit away from Kate.

As you go closer you could sense his attention move to you, but he didn't seem phased by your presence, only smirking slightly when you sat down beside him. "Before you say a word, I know who you are." His accent flooded his words, a thick French one that had you narrowing your eyes at him.

"And who may I be?" You challenged, tilting your head in question as you looked at him, his eyes still set on Kate in the distance.

"Y/n Y/l/n. Daughter and subject of Edith and Duncan Y/l/n, and former worker for Michael Bowey. In other words, you are a snake and imposter to the Avenger people, no?" You smirk at his words, nodding in acceptance, feeling slightly impressed by the digging he's done.

"Then it's only fair if you tell me about you then, am I wrong?"

"You know me sweetheart." He states and you raise an eyebrow in question, looking over to where Kate was seated outside of a cafe across the street.

"You mustn't be as special as you think you are, I've never seen you in my life, sweetheart." You shoot back and he huffs in amusement, a sly grin sitting comfortably on his lips. "What do you want with Kate?"

"Exactly what I wanted with you." He lifted his glasses off his face and placed them on the top of his head, meeting your eyes in the process. "You were good bug, I made the right choice sending Michael to you, you were fun to toy with." He shrugged and you clenched your jaw slightly, finally realizing this guy was no joke.

"Kate won't give in to you, besides she's just a kid, what use would that give to you?"

"You were younger than her when we set eyes on you, you don't remember?" He chuckled and you held the urge to take his head off without delay. You were followed for a lot longer than you even knew and you never picked up on it. You failed and never knew it all this time. All these years.

"She's not stupid like I was, she doesn't have anything you need so find someone else to do your dirty work."

"She has money, lots and lots of money and one thing I love is the smell of success," he makes a weird sniffing sound followed by a long exhale before laughing to himself and you pull a face of disgust at him. "And one thing you never were was stupid, you earned us millions." He points at you, and you hit his hand away from your face, not liking where he was going with this.

"What would it take for you to leave her alone and choose to pick out somebody else?" You question, an idea sitting in your head that you knew wouldn't be the best of choices, but you had to do all you could, and right now the idea in your head was more reasonable. Always wanting to protect the most important people around you and in this situation, it was Kate.

"Someone great, higher in money and someone very close to your abilities." He replies with ease, and you hide back your smile knowing this was going in the right direction for you to pursue your plan.

"Well, what if I make you a deal?" He perks up at this, his attention moving back onto you with his eyes narrowed.

He ponders, eyebrows raising in question before replying, "what is this deal you speak of?"

"I give you me, I work for you once more in replacement of Kate. That's my offer."

"It's a done deal." He reaches his hand out for you to shake, and you look at it for a beat of a moment before taking his hand in yours and sealing your deal with a simple shake of the hand. "You start today, I have base, but it is not in my deal to take you there in case of broken promise. Understand?" You nod in acceptance, rising from your seat on the bench and turning your back to where Kate was to look at him.

"Then I'll lead you to where my base is." He nods firmly, following suit and leaves the bench empty as the two of you walk towards where you parked your car.

You pressed your earpiece so it was no longer muted so Nat would be able to hear your conversation when you got in the car. You heard her ask if everything was okay and you sneakily replied by telling the man "Yes, just this one," knowing Nat would catch on.

"Do you need me to come?" Nat asked through the earpiece but the only place you needed her right now was at home. You couldn't take him to the compound as he would have your life on the spot, knowing this was a man of high power.

"Where is this base?" He inquired about you, and it was the perfect thing he could have said so you could hint to Nat where she needed to be.

"I'm not one who likes to have multiple places of work, I like my confined area, so I keep it organized, there's a basement in my house that I've spent years of my life working on the perfect security to keep everyone but myself out of it. So that's where we'll be heading right now, home if you'd like to say but I must have you know to be prepared." The last bit was towards Nat, and she replied with a "are you fucking kidding me? Y/n I swear if you get yourself killed-" before cutting herself off with a sigh and a simple 'okay', knowing exactly what she needed to do.

"Prepared for what?" He reaches his hand behind his back slowly and you laugh, seeing his movement.

"I don't mean anything bad by that, I just mean you'll be impressed of how far I've come since you knew me." You shrug and he raises his chin as he looks at you, nodding in approval with a small pat on your shoulder.