Chapter 18

"How did you manage to convince me to look at dead animals after I said no to live ones?" Nat pondered after you had dragged her to look at the stuffed lions behind the glass case. You found it all so fascinating that each thing in here once lived a life which you had no clue about, how everything in here was much older than you were, than anyone you knew. Even Steve and that was a lot.

"Because you love me." You shrugged as you took her hand and pulled her into another room, one filled with a mammoth that was much larger than you ever expected them to be. You had heard a few things about them throughout your life, but you only expected them to be the same size as an elephant so when you saw a real-life replica it really took you by surprise. "What would you do if you ever got chased by a mammoth?" You questioned your girlfriend as you stared up at the replica, almost breaking your neck in the process.

"They're extinct, detka." 

"I know, I'm talking hypothetically." You turned to face her side profile and saw her small smile as she looked to the place you had just moved your gaze off; she was secretly enjoying this, and you were going to tease her about it afterwards after she threw the idea away earlier this morning.

"Well, I'd take cover, an animal so big wouldn't have as much movement compared to someone so small, wait until it passes me then take the kill." She concluded and you hummed in response, happy with her answer. "What about you?"

"Befriend it, ride it, build a big house for it and put my bed next to his." You thought and she laughed lightly at your response, clearly not taking you seriously, "what? Is that not the best thing you've heard all your life? 

"Hmm no, but it's in the top 10." 

"10? That's crazy, it should at least make top 5." She shook her head at you, her nose scrunching a little and you found yourself smiling at the adorable sight. God, you were so in love with this woman.

"Now that's pushing it." You rolled your eyes playfully and pulled her into the next room, wanting to see everything that was on show to be seen. 

"I have a question." You told her, looking through the glass in the middle of the room which contained a tomb with a mummy on show. 

"That being?" she squeezed your hand, encouraging you to continue. Something she had always done when your hand was in hers.

"Can we stay here tonight and wait for them to come alive?" She looked at you and waited for you to tell her you were joking but when she didn't, she began laughing. 

"You realize that's only in the movie, right?" You deflated and she chuckled once more, pressing a kiss to the top of your head, "you have a lot to learn." 

The rest of the time at the museum was a lot of fun, you learnt a lot of things that had never even crossed your mind in knowing before and Nat corrected you on a few things along the way. Mostly pronunciations, but you appreciated it either way. 

The two of you now sat in a small restaurant in the middle of Manhattan speaking about random things that had come to your minds and also talking about the animals you couldn't seem to get out of your mind after finding out about them, but as fun as it was, you had to tell her about the Kate situation. 

"I need to ask you something." You started and she looked at you over the rim of her wine glass.

"If it's anything to do with dinosaurs your answers no." You smiled at her response and her eyebrows furrowed together after realizing it's going to be something a lot more serious than that.

"It's more about Kate," You start, and she nods slowly waiting for you to continue, "she's asked me to help her with something."

"What is it?" She took a sip of her wine before placing it back on the table, crossing her arms over the surface below her. 

"She's being followed after declining a job offer, it's worrying her and after finding out I went through something similar she's asked if I can help get him off her back." She let out a deep breath and fell into a train of thoughts, not knowing what she should say to that.

"And you're going to ask me if I'm okay with you helping her?" she guessed and you nodded in response, knowing things could turn for the worse at any given moment.

"I know I don't have my powers, but like you said, I'm not them" You reasoned, and she looked up at you from her plate of food.

"Who else knows about this?"

"You, me and Kate." She sat back in her seat, her eyes still watching yours and although she doesn't look too impressed, she doesn't look like she's about to bite your head off at the topic.

"Fine, you can help her on one condition," She crossed her arms over her chest and continued speaking before even giving you the chance, "you wear an earpiece at all times that's also connected to one I'll be wearing and only use it if anything goes wrong and I'll be there as soon as I can along with the rest of the team, if you successfully take him down there's most likely going to more people who will be after you and if that turns out to be the case I'm joining you no matter what you or Kate has to say about it. If you get injured in any way, you're off the job and I'll take your place instead, am I clear?" 

"That sounds fair." You accept and she nods in acceptance before the two of you fall back into a normal, uplifting conversation as you finish off your meal.