Chapter 27

"But one won't hurt us," you groaned as Nat dragged you away by your arm, staring back at the Labrador puppy you and Natasha passed on the way to the store "it's so cute."

"You're already enough." She replied ignoring all the whining you were doing.

"Oh, so you're saying I'm too much?" You pulled from her grasp and crossed your arms in the middle of the sidewalk ignoring Nat's embarrassed but enjoyed look, "if you don't love me just say that."

"Y/n." She warned, ignoring the random stares from random people walking by.

"Y/n? If you want to break up just say that."

She let out a deep sigh, attempting to take your hand in hers but you were too stubborn and pulled away, trying your best not to break out into laughter. You loved annoying her; it was a part of your daily routine; it was easily your love language.

"I'd marry you here on the sidewalk if I could now please can we get going?" You huffed, looking towards the road so she wouldn't catch the blush that spread across your cheeks along with the small smile that fought its way onto your lips.

Today you felt strange, it wasn't something you've felt before. You felt on edge any time Nat wasn't by you, scared almost, you've already been extra clingy today but also annoying to hide what you were feeling. The only thing that you could compare to how you were feeling would be how you would feel before an episode when you had a fault in your powers, but even then, it was different.

Nat hadn't seen anything off with you, but you were glad about it, you didn't want her to worry when it might not be necessary. Maybe you were just sick.

The store was quite busy when you arrived and you could already feel your impatience grow, you wanted to be at home, in bed preferably, not around tons of people who get in your way. Groaning like a child, you dragged your feet along the ground as you followed Nat around the store.

"Are you going to explain what that was earlier?" Nat asked you as she picked up a can of soup, examining it before deciding against it and placing it back on the shelf.

"No, I'm not talking to you." The lie came easy, but you wanted to sell it, so you picked up the same can that she had just put back and repeated the same movements Nat did.

"You do realize you've just had a full conversation not even two minutes ago with me, right?"

"I'm holding grudges right now." You replied, grabbing the handle of the cart and leaving her in the aisle.

It wasn't long before she found your side again, gently putting her hand on your lower back before pointing out the eggs she mentioned she needed earlier that morning. "What are those grudges?" She questioned when she placed the carton into the cart.

"The knife you held to my throat." She scoffed and narrowed her eyes at you, and you successfully hit the nerve you were looking for. You knew it was all for games, all for the reactions you'd get out of her, and you were loving it, feeling extra annoying today.

"You were the one sent to steal from us."

"Stole your heart instead." You turned to her with a cheesy grin, your whole mood visibly switching up.

Shaking her head she ignored you and walked away, continuing the shopping on her own. But you knew it wouldn't be long until she began her search for you; she'd say it was because she needed the cart but if that were true, she'd have taken it with her.

The drive home was silent, no music played and none of you spoke a word. Nat was understandably annoyed with you, so you didn't attempt to make a conversation with her, neither did she. You spoke to Tony earlier in the day and he mentioned a party he wanted to throw on the weekend, you and Natasha both agreed to be there knowing it'll be a nice thing to spend time with everyone again, sure you had just seen them on the ice skating trip but neither of you get to see them as much as you once did.

You no longer live with them, although you prefer living alone with Nat, there's times where you miss waking up in the middle of the night, heading to the kitchen and talking with whoever has the same ideas as you. You told yourself you'd start seeing them a lot more after the party and you were going to stick to that. You missed your family.

"Still love me?" You spoke up as Nat pulled into the driveway.

She sighed but you watched as her mood changed, how her smile grew and the way her eyes softened when she looked at you, "I still love you, now come on. Home time."

You smiled, happy with her answer and climbed out of the car, opening the rear door to help with the shopping bags, which you must say was a lot more than the two of you usually got.

"We don't need them, not yet." Nat told you before shutting the door behind you.

"The meat will go off and my ice cream will melt. We need them." You looked at her questionably.

"We won't be here long." She answered before taking your hand and walking you up to the front door. Finding the keys in her jacket pocket, she unlocked the door and your face fell into confusion as you saw the empty hallway.

Completely empty.

No furniture.

No pictures.

Looking at Nat in shock, you grew frustrated by her unfazed expression, "Hello?!" You exclaimed facing her, "we've been robbed, and you do NOT care?!" She began laughing as you began running around the house, checking every room to see that the house was entirely empty. Everything was gone, the kitchen cupboards had been emptied of your food, the fridge looked brand new, the kitchen drawers were cleared of everything. It looked like it did when you first moved in.

"Relax, detka." Nat chuckled as she came up behind you, but you shook your head sliding past her and heading to the living room.

A note sat on the living room floor, picking it up you read over it:

Because you're my kid

-Tony

Under the note lay a set of keys. House keys.

"Surprise." Nat smiled as she pushed off the door frame.

You were feeling every emotion you could possibly think of. You didn't know what to think nor what to say, you were ecstatic yet confused, it was like you forgot how to function.