I want ice cream

Created: 12.08.2022

Finished: 24.08.2022

Edited: 13.09.2023

Age: 3

Word count: 1,248

Warnings: Panic attack, Toddler tantrum

Request: Yes (Tumblr user)

Summary: Natasha deals with her daughter's first toddler tantrum.

"And, up." Natasha cheered as she lifted you from the ground and put you in your high chair to eat dinner "That's it, my love. Mama will feed you very soon."

Hearing Natasha talking about food made you very excited. You loved your feeding time as much as you loved the cuddles in bed with your mom.

"Food. Food. Food. Food..." You chanted excitedly as Natasha lightly laughed at your toddler antics

"Okay... Okay, I'm moving faster." Natasha laughed as she started to walk faster with a plate of food in her hand and a cup in the other

Natasha put the plate down in front of you and you quickly inspected what you were going to eat tonight.

Not to mention that your mama used your absolute favorite plate.

It was a round plastic plate with Stitch on it, that also had green leaves on its side along with being very cutely filled with colors such as purple, blue, and pink.

Then you looked at your sippy cup that was a match to your plate and after thinking about its contents you looked at your mom confused.

"It's milk baby." Natasha reassured you and a big smile formed on your face "Now what does my baby girl want to eat first tonight? We have rice with vegetables and chicken meat."

You looked to your side thinking about your answer and Natasha had to hold back a laugh seeing your cute small face all scrunched up in your attempt to pretend that you hardly thought about your next choice.

"Meat." You looked back at Natasha after a moment of serious debate

Natasha nodded and started to feed you.

She tried to let you more and more to eat on your own but when it came to eating meat she felt safer if she fed you it herself.

But when it came time to eat the rice and vegetables she handed you the plastic spoon so you could try and eat yourself.

Despite being very young you already had quite the personality and wanted to be independent.

You were your mama's girl.

Although there weren't too many things you could do on your own yet and always Natasha was by your side when you tried, you still wanted to have the freedom to do things for yourself.

Much to Natasha's surprise, you are a very understanding child and never threw at least one tantrum, created problems for your mom, or made her feel uncomfortable in public.

If Natasha said you can not have that toy because you already have it back home, you never asked a second time for it.

It amazed the other people and parents how small and yet so good-behaved you are for your age. The parents at the park or the playground or literally anywhere always ask Natasha how she manages to have such an amazing and well-behaved child.

Honestly, not even Natasha knows how.

You had to eat the entire meat on your plate, not that it was too much anyway because your mama is very careful about what you eat and she always makes sure you're properly fed but not overfed, and now it was time for your vegetables and rice.

"Great job sweetheart! I know you can do it!" Natasha smiled and clapped her hands to encourage you to eat the rest of the food that was left on the plate after you ate more than half of it

But instead of keep eating like you would normally do, you put the spoon down from your hand and looked at Natasha.

"Y/N wants ice cream." You told your mom

Natasha smiled at you softly "You can have some ice cream after you eat your dinner."

That answer did not make you too happy.

You wanted ice cream and you wanted it now.

"Me want ice cream." You repeated as tears formed in your big eyes

"I know baby and you'll receive ice cream after you've finished all of your dinner." Natasha stroked your cheek with her thumb

That was it.

You completely lost it.

Tears started streaming down your face and you screamed at the top of your tiny lungs "I want ice cream!"

Natasha was taken aback.

It was the first time you ever threw a tantrum and needless to say, she was completely lost.

"No baby... Please don't cry. Mama is sorry. She didn't want to upset you." Natasha started to panic as her eyes filled with tears too

Her words did not affect you as you kept screaming, crying, and trashing around for ice cream.

"What do I do?! What do I do?!" Natasha mumbled in an attempt to come up with a way to stop you from crying

While Natasha tried her best to stop you from crying by telling you that she would give you ice cream and that you did not need to keep eating your dinner, your breathing started to become heavier and it was harder and harder for you to get enough air in your little lungs with each breath you took in.

"Angel?" Your mama put her fingers under your chin as she noticed you struggling to breathe, her concern growing with each passing second

As an answer, she only saw you choking on air.

Enough with thinking about ways to calm you down.

Natasha had to act and she had to do it now.

What a perfect time for her motherly instincts to kick in.

She quickly picked you up from your chair and gently laid you down on the kitchen floor.

Natasha leaned over your little body, putting her arms on either side of your head.

"Baby, try and blow on Mama's face. Can you blow air on Mama's face? Look, just like this." She instructed as she gently started to blow air on your face

You tried to copy your mama and were desperately trying to get enough air to do the same thing your mom did.

"That's it, sweetie." Natasha nodded to encourage you to keep trying

Slowly but surely, you started to get more and more air until, finally, your breathing went back to normal.

Natasha was so lucky that she remembered this thing she read in a parenting book some while ago.

Never thought it would come in handy. But here she is.

"You did such an amazing job, baby. I'm so proud of you." Your mom kissed your nose as she picked you up and gently started to rock you from side to side

You've rested your head on her shoulder and hid your face in her neck.

Only little sniffs were heard from time to time from you until they faded away completely.

Once Natasha felt you get heavier in her arms and couldn't hear your sniffs anymore, she slightly pulled her head to one side and looked at your face only to see you fast asleep.

All that crying must have tired you out.

The woman made her way back to her room, gently put you on her bed as she went and brought you some pajamas from your room and dressed you with them.

She tucked you in then went, took a shower, and laid next to you in bed.

She gently wrapped her arms around you as sleep started to take over her as well.

She now needs to call Laura first thing in the morning and ask her how on Earth does one deal with their toddler's tantrums.