Coming home (Part 2)

Created: 19.04.2022

Finished: 27.04.2022

Edited: 18.09.2023

Age: 16

Word count: 1,205

Warnings: Death, Fainting, Child loss, Corpse, Grief

Request: No

'I love you, Mama.' Was the last thing Natasha heard from her baby and then, nothing. Just pure silence. One that made her whole being hurt.

She fell to her knees and the world turned black for her.

She woke up by someone calling her name.

Steve was lightly shaking her in an attempt to bring her back to consciousness.

Saying he was concerned was an understatement. Natasha's reaction scared Steve and the worst was about to come.

For a second Natasha looked at him with hope. Hope that everything was a nightmare and that you were actually okay and home.

But that little hope died soon when she saw the pained look on his face.

"No..." The woman shook her head

"Nat, I'm sorry-"

"No!" She cut him off "That's not true. Not my baby, not my baby. She's alive. She has to be!"

Steve has never seen his friend in such a state. She was supposed to be the emotionless assassin who never showed her feelings.

But he knows that all of that changed when you came into her life. On the day you were born, it was the first time everyone had seen Natasha truly smile.

She started to show love and affection.

All because of you. For you.

And now she had the worst breakdown because of you. You were her only child. The only one she could ever have. And that made everything much worse.

"We tracked her phone and sent the team to the location." Steve thought for a second how to say this but there was no easy way "They only found grumble."

"I don't believe you." Natasha protested, still in a denial state "Take me there. I want to see it with my own eyes."

"I don-"

"Take me to her." She pleaded, tears pouring out of her eyes "Please..."

The Captain sighed and nodded his head, helping his teammate stand up.

Steve supported her weight while they walked to the QuinJet.

All the way to the location, Natasha had bounced her leg anxiously and refused to believe the reality. She refused to believe you were dead.

But honestly, what mother would easily accept that her child is gone?

What mother could accept that her reason to be alive, isn't alive anymore? That her reason is dead...

As soon as they landed, Natasha rushed to what had been a building and started to look around for you.

"Romanoff..." Tony called her softly, but she just ignored him as she kept searching for a glimpse of her child

The team was crushed down. You were like a kid to all of them and your mom was like their sister. You were the pride and joy of your mother and the sunshine of your uncles.

The men were just sitting speechless to one side, with tears in their eyes that were about to fall.

"Natasha..." Different people called her, but she ignored them all, too focused on finding you

"Natalia!" Clint shouted, pulling her back by her shoulders, making her look into his eyes "She's gone! Do you hear me?! She's truly gone! She left us! We found her body already."

And with that, he took out of his pocket your necklace, which was a match to your mother's.

He had gifted both of you one, as he had one too. A reminder that you two were his family.

Natasha looked at it for a few seconds and then slowly took it from Clint's hand into her own, holding it tight to her chest.

Natasha's thoughts were all over the place.

Clint wouldn't lie to her. He was her best friend. Her brother in all but blood. She knows how much he loves you, so he wouldn't lie about something like this. Wouldn't he?

But yet she couldn't bring herself to believe him. The mother in her couldn't accept the truth.

"I-I want t-to see it." She managed to say, through her violent sobs

"Nat, you don't have to. It's not a good idea." Clint tried to hold her back, while she fought to push past him, his voice calm

"I want to see her!" She cried as Clint pushed her back again

Just then the red-headed woman caught a glimpse of something behind Bruce and Thor, who were trying their best to cover it.

Her heart dropped to her stomach when she realized what it was.

A body bag.

She stopped fighting which confused the men, who soon understood what she had seen.

There was no going back.

They let her go and she slowly walked to the bag and crunched down next to it.

She just stared wide-eyed at the zip.

No one dared to go there and unzip the bag for Natasha. They were just too hurt to do it. How could they crush Natasha's world by doing that?

But it had to be done.

Steve was the only one with enough courage to go and unzip the bag for Natasha. Clint placed his hands on her shoulders, getting ready for her mental breakdown.

Steve only opened enough to reveal the head and neck, of the kid he liked to think of as his own.

Natasha gasped and leaned forward, as close to the body as possible.

It was really you.

You, somehow, had your face untouched by the damage of the explosion, only having a small cut on your lower lip.

Even though you were pale, you looked so peaceful and if Natasha didn't know better, she would swear that you were sleeping. She actually waited for a moment for you to open your eyes and lazily smile at her while greeting her with a happy 'Good morning, Mama'.

But no.

She brought her shaky hand to your forehead and started to caress your face and stroke your hair.

You were ice cold and that broke her even more. She wanted to feel the warmth of her baby, like the first time she felt it when she held you in her arms.

But there was none. No warmth, no breath, no movement. Nothing.

She rested her forehead on yours and whispered into your ear "Hey baby girl. Mama's here. You don't have to be afraid anymore. Please open your beautiful eyes and look at me. Please. You're everything I have. You are the reason why I wake up every morning and smile. You are the only reason that makes me want to live. So please, come back to me. Don't leave me."

When she gained no response, Natasha finally let out her pain and kissed you all over your face, crying, lingering on each kiss. Her tears fell like raindrops on your pale face.

Natasha was still sitting on the ground with you in her arms. Your head tightly pressed against her chest.

She was rocking you back and forth, when the boys heard a scream so powerful and painful, that would haunt their dreams forever.

Natasha had been through a lot in her life but nothing hurt her as much as the pain of losing her baby girl did.

Why it had to be her? Why did she had to be the one who lost her baby? Why her daughter?