Chapter Twenty-Eight

Finney felt stupid for thinking his sister would ever be mad at him, but he had good reason. Everyone always thought he was queer, but the only people who ever talked about, talked about it badly. His dad never said anything about it, but his dad thought so too, or used to.

He thought maybe his sister would think the same sort of way, but she didn't he felt stupid for thinking that too.

"Oh..." Finney said after a moment of silence, His sister made a small humming sound in response before talking again. "Okay but... what about Donna?" She asked, Finney glanced up at her, confused. "What do you mean?"
"Didn't you, like- like her?" She questioned, leaning forward a bit, Finney shrugged, picking at his nails.

"I do like her." He responded quietly, she crossed her arms "But you're gay." She responded, Finney sighed "Kind of..." He mumbled Gwen sneered but she didn't ask any more questions, about Donna at least.

"Why don't you hang out with Robin anymore?" She asked, Finney kicked a rock off the sidewalk "I... I do!" He muttered after a moment of silence, Gwen raised an eyebrow, "Really? In your dreams? Did you stop hanging out with him before or after he kissed you?" She asked Finney opened his mouth, but couldn't get any words out for a good few moments.

"Who the fuck told you that happened?"

"Robin, duh, he's my friend too."

"What the fuck?!"

"Anyways..." She chimed, dragging out the 's' in 'anyways', "Whyyy won't you just talk to him? Was it really that big of a deal? Well- it was like, thiiis big of a deal..." She said as the held up her pointer finger and thumb which were about half an inch apart.

"It is a big deal, it's a really big deal," He argued back "If Suzy kissed you would that be a big deal?" He asked, Gwen sneered "Yes because Suzy isn't my best friend and I'm not gay." She declared, crossing her arms "Well neither am I!" Finney defended, Gwen gave him the most confused look in the world. "You just said you were!"

"No I didn't, you said I was!"

"You agreed!"

"No I didn't!"

"If you're not gay then what are you?"

"Not gay!"

Finney and Gwen stayed silent for a moment, Finney shoved his hands into his pockets and sighed, taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah I'm sorry too." Gwen said back almost instantly, then there was more silence. "I saw Robin after school today." Gwen blurted, "Yeah?" Finney asked, Gwen shrugged "Briefly..." She said as he dropped her shoulders, glancing away from Finney. "And?" He asked as they turned the corner to the final two blocks to their house.

"I invited him over." She said quickly, Finney stopped. "No you didn't." He said, Gwen furrowed her eyebrows. "Yes I did."
"Yeah? Well if you did when he gets here you're opening the door and telling him to go back home."
"Are you that scared to talk to him?"
"Are you forgetting we have a dad?"

Finney argued, Gwen shook her head "If Robin even saw what our dad was like he'd never talk to me again." Finney said, a little frantic "You'll never talk to him again unless I force you to today!" Gwen replied, putting her hands on her hips.

"If Suzy ever came over and knew what out dad was really like she wouldn't talk to you either." Finney muttered, Gwen shook her head.

"Suzy isn't my best friend, Suzy isn't my friend at all. Suzy already knows what our dad is like because her parents know everything and her parents care and the only reason I'm allowed to go over to her house every Friday is because Friday is the night everyone gets drunk, and Suzy's parents don't want me getting hit with an empty glass bottle after our dad downs the whole thing."

She snapped, Finney sneered and furrowed his eyebrows, Gwen wasn't usually this full of attitude and he didn't understand why she cared so much about his best friend.

"Our dad doesn't do that anymore, but I know if he did and Robin saw he wouldn't give two fucks about not talking to you again and the only he would do is help you because all he's ever done is help you. He's coming over, and you are talking everything through with him or else you two never will and I won't talk to either of you anymore until you do!"

Gwen said confidently, crossing her arms, Finney sighed, shit.