|| Chapter 3 ||

Cade was currently in his family barn, moving a project he had been doing for a while, which was machinery based.

"That goes by the circuit boards." Cade instructed Lucas as he walked elsewhere within the barn, moving the truck in.

"Put the Zeiss lenses over there." Cade said again, Lucas moving to do as asked.

Tessa walked into the barn as Cade began to look at Robo-Dog, his glasses on his face as he looked up at Tessa.

"Dad, please. You can't keep spending money on junk just so you can turn it into different junk." Tessa sighed, carrying mail.

"We do not use the 'J' word in here. That is a super simplex theatre projector, it's very rare. What about the SmilePilot? Or the Exer-Mower that I invented? Simply ahead of their time.." Cade said, explaining it to Tessa.

"Yeah, like the alleged Guard-Dawg." Lucas said, walking in.

Robo-Dog's head swayed around a little as he made some sort of growling noise, Cade looking at the Robot.

"You're gonna make him upset." Cade said.

"Hey, Cade! Cade! This thing still word?" Lucas asked, pointing to something within the garage, making the father and daughter look over.

"No!"

"Yes! And still groundbreaking. Go back there and lay on the recliner and just wait for a cold one." Cade said, pointing to a reclining chair as Tessa groaned.

Lucas walked over to the recliner as the fridge began to open, breaking something on the way there, Cade wasn't happy.

"Dude, stop breaking stuff." Cade sighed.

"Final notice, late notice, past due." Tessa said, shoving mail onto a desk that Cade had just sat down on a chair near.

"Come on, come on! Bring daddy the alcohol. Come on." Lucas shouted from afar as he looked at the robot titled 'Butler-Bot'.

"I mean, what is all this crap people send you?" Tessa asked, holding up a couple things.

"That's a discman and that's an 8-track tape. Music." Cade explained.

"Never heard of it." Tessa deadpanned.

"Look, I fix that, it's 100 bucks. I fix that, it's $250. If I would have been able to fix that before you broke it even more, it would have been 20 bucks. This stuff is what's gonna put you through college as long as you land one of those scholarships." Cade said sternly.

"What's the estimated time of arrival, usually? Average?" Lucas asked from afar, watching the Robot.

"Wait. So it just brings the beer near you? That's the trick?" Lucas questioned.

"It's got a couple kinks, man." Cade sighed.

"Yeah." Lucas said.

"Dad, you think maybe some things should never be invented?" Tessa asked.

"No, I don't. That's backwards thinking. This is a temple of technology. You guys are standing in a holy place." Cade said, getting up and walking out.

He had heard quite the loud laugh as he walked outside.

"What do you think? Why don't you look at all of this? This could be yours. What about this land?" A woman questioned a few people.

"Purple People eater's back and she looks hungry." Cade said, grabbing a bat.

"Isn't this incredible? I knew you would like it-" The woman asked enthusiastically.

"Hey, you! Hey!" Cade yelled.

She took off her glasses as both Cade and Tessa ran up the hill, Cade carrying a bat.

"I own this house! It's not for sale!" Cade shouted.

"Six months late on payment, Mr. Yeager. And I see you stealing power at the pole." The woman pointed it out sassily.

"Hey, that's not your concern. Sir, do you wanna see the property?" Cade asked.

"Sure." The man shrugged with his wife beside him.

"I'd be more than happy to give you a tour. I'll show you three other buyers I got buried out back, then I'll crack your head open like an egg!" Cade yelled, swinging the bat.

That escalated.

"Stay back! He's crazy." The woman said.

"I told you don't come back here anymore." Cade Warned.

"I will have my brother come back and beat your ass! Don't you start with me. And I'll bring the police when I come, too!" She threatened him.

"Who? Jerry? You bring his big ass up here, he's gonna be huffing and puffing before he can squeeze out of that car! You back out on my grass, you're gonna be in big trouble! You tell jerry to come see me, I'll give him some pecan pie." Cade said.

She began to back out on his grass and practically the main parts of the property, Cade throwing the bat at her car.

"Awwh! She smashed through the fence?!" Cade exclaimed.

"Cade, relax. You're going to have an aortic infarction." Lucas said, sipping on his beer.

"What is that?" Cade asked.

"I think it's a brain heart attack." Lucas shrugged.

"Yeah, I've had one already." Cade rolled his eyes, walking away.

"So we're stealing power now?" Tessa asked.

"No, we're borrowing it from the neighbours." Cade scolded.

"Great. That's awesome. Once I graduate and I'm gone, who's gonna take care of you?" Tessa asked worriedly.

"Oh, you take care of me? Who taught you how to solder a circuit? Or write a program? Or French braid your hair? Or throw a spiral? Me. That's what I do." Cade deadpanned.

"Who taught you how to cook without ketchup? Or balance your check book? Who always has to be the grown-up around here?" Tessa questioned.

"Alright, you got a point, okay? But that means we're a great team. And I know it's been sucky around here lately. But we're gonna he fine, sweetie. You just gotta keep believing, okay? I mean, that's what great inventors do. I promise you, one day, I'm gonna build something that matters." Cade promised.

Empty.

"I believe you, dad." Tessa sighed.

"You know, your mom would be very proud of you. It's going to be okay." Cade said in a comforting voice.

—————

Ratchet's Death Scene is after and I CANNOT- Oml I luv every version of ratchet sm and I cant bring myself to write his kill scene, I'm srry y'all-

I miss him sm-