𝐔𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐳𝐞𝐬|| 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖

Miguel's eyes were tired, his mind fatigued from a long day of relentless work at his computer. He had been engrossed in his tasks, trying to meet deadlines and fulfill his responsibilities. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, whispering to himself <<Necesito un café...>>
As just as he was about to take a momentary breather, one of his coworkers, Jeremiah, approached him.
<<Hey, Miguel,>> his coworker called out, <<There are the new hires in the other room. Can you spare a few minutes and welcome them to the company?>>.
He sighed deeply <<Again?>> he asked, slightly annoyed. The coworker shrugged, as if Miguel didn't have a choice <<You always did it.>>.
Miguel's first instinct was to decline. He was already swamped with work and had no desire to divert his attention elsewhere. But a sense of duty and professionalism compelled him to reconsider. Also he was the boss of this company, he had to show his persona.
Reluctantly, he agreed and made his way to the room where the new employees were gathered.

As he entered the room, Miguel noticed ten unfamiliar faces eagerly awaiting his introduction. He took a deep breath, collected himself, and began to speak to the mic.
<<Good morning. I am Miguel O'Hara, the leader of this company.>> he started speaking slowly with a formal tone. His speech was full of rehearsed as he introduced himself and the company, highlighting its values and achievements.
However, amidst the sea of unfamiliar faces, Miguel's eyes caught sight of a woman he knew all too well.
No way.
Impossible, it couldn't be her.
It was Angel.
He didn't saw her for a long time. She didn't change at all, her hair were longer than he remembered and she was dressed up formally for the occasion. Then he remembered who that woman actually was.
His ex-girlfriend who had left him alone to raise their child.
The memories flooded back, stirring a mix of emotions within him. He tried to maintain his composure and continued with his speech, holding tight the mic as his voice became colder, and his gaze looked like it could hurt anybody.
As the introductions came to an end, Miguel concluded his speech and excused himself from the room. He hastily retreated to his office, seeking solace from the memories resurfacing in his mind. The day had been long enough already, and he yearned for some peace and quiet.

When the clock struck the end of the workday, Miguel gathered his belongings and made his way towards the elevator. He pressed the button, patiently waiting for its arrival. Just as the doors were about to close, Angel stepped in and caught Miguel off guard.
Silence enveloped the small space as the elevator began its descent. Angel broke the silence, her voice filled with surprise <<Miguel, I had no idea you worked here>> she turned toward the man and smiled kindly. That damn smile that made everyone love her. It was just like a spell. She did it, and she had everything she wanted.
But it looked like it had no effect on Miguel, not anymore. His response was cold and distant, not even looking at her <<It's Mr O'Hara.>> he hissed, looking in front of him on an indefinite spot of the elevagor <<And I had no idea you were joining this company either.>>
A palpable tension lingered between them as the elevator descended further. Angel could sense Miguel's detachment and tried to bridge the gap <<I'm sorry, Miguel. I've had time to reflect on my past behavior... I regret leaving you alone with our child.>>
Miguel's gaze remained fixed ahead, his tone firm <<You were not sorry at all when you actually left us.>> he spoke back. He could act in another way, but he decided to let his emotions get over him.
Angel sighed and looked at him again <<But I was young, I didn't know what to do.>> she bit her lower lip. She was nervous. Even after years apart, Miguel knew every move of her and their meanings.
<<You had a lot of time of actually think about it.>> he spoke. He finally looked at her, and she shivered from the coldness of his gaze <<I never forced you. I always gave you time to thing and change your ideas. Instead, you left all at the end, on my shoulders.>> he sighed as well <<But I am glad it happened. Because my baby is happy and safe now, with people who love her.>>
She was disperately trying to make it up with words <<Miguel I am->>.
<<Apologies won't change what happened, Angel.>> he spoke coldly. He said her name in a cold way, almost disgusted. He had closed that chapter of his life and had no intention of revisiting it. The wounds were too deep, and he was determined to prioritize his work and move forward <<Now you work for me. Right now you focus on the work, not on the emotions. Is that clear?>>.
The doors of the elevator opened, revealing the bustling lobby beyond. Miguel stepped out without uttering another word, leaving Angel standing there, her face showed sadness and regret.
With each step he took, Miguel left behind the echoes of a painful past, embracing a future defined by professionalism and resilience.
He had no regret in what he said or showed.