17 //

17 // Pris

My phone goes off in the middle of the night. I roll over in my bed and grunt. My bed feels so warm. I don't want to get up to walk over to my desk, where my phone is charging.

The only reason I convince myself to get out of bed is that Dani hasn't texted me since six this evening, telling me that she was going out later. It worries me slightly, but I figure it's nothing major.

I stumble to my desk and realize someone is not texting but calling me. It's Dani's number appearing. I pick up, "Hello?"

"Pris, it's Alex."

Alex's voice startles me. It scares me how serious she sounds.

"What's wrong?"

"Something went down and we're at the hospital. I'm driving to your house to pick you up. Dani wants you there."

"Okay. When will you be there?"

"About ten minutes."

"Just text me when you're here or you'll wake up everyone."

"Understood."

She hangs up. I put the phone down and start imagining the worst. If Dani wants me there, then she's conscious. That's already something.

I throw some clothes on and head downstairs, phone in hand. She texts me that she's arrived fairly quickly. I open the door and quietly close it. Sure enough, Alex is standing outside of her car across the street from mine. I walk towards her. Her face is completely beat up, bruises covering her face. Her eyes are kept bent down.

"What happened Alex?"

"Get in."

I get in with Alex. She drives off towards the hospital I assume.

"We went out earlier and hm," she trailed off. "We were assaulted."

"Assaulted how?"

She points at her face, "Dani took a serious hit and requested you so I came."

I can hate Alex all I want. But tonight truly shows how much of a friend she is to Dani. It takes a lot of friendship to go get your friend's girlfriend, who dislikes you, even though you're hurt as well. My respect meter has risen so high for Alex.

"Thank you Alex."

She glances at me, "No problem."

There's a quick silence. I twirl my fingers around, looking outside. The hospital is a bit of ways away. Alex keeps an intense glare during the drive.

"I know I'm an asshole and that you don't like me but you're really there for Dani and I... and I can only respect you for that."

I look at her. She keeps her eyes on the road. I feel a need to reply, "Thank you for saying that."

"My head hurts too much to fuck around."

We both chuckle and go back to our silence. She pulls up at the hospital. We get out and she leads me into the room where Dani is still being examined. When she sees me, her face lightens up through the bloody scars covering her face.

I rush towards her and touch her arm, but that makes her flinch. I apologize and keep on staring at her. There's only me, Dani, Alex and this girl I've never seen before. Dani follows my eyes and speaks up, "That's Lana, Pris. Tony's girl. Lana, that's Pristina, my princess."

We smile at each other and particularly blush at Dani's words. She looks shaken up, just like all of them. I watch Dani receive more examinations. Alex and Lana soon leave the room to let me stay with Dani.