8 //

8 // Pris

“Pris, are you even listening to me?” Ari yells at me, annoyed.

She was right to ask because I wasn’t. As we’re walking down the street, towards our school, Ari has been yapping about her weekend. I’m pretty sure she’s explaining how she almost hooked up with a guy. My mind, as usual, wanders elsewhere, so I only caught the beginning of her misadventures.

“What were you saying?” I ask her, equally annoyed.

“Never mind,” Ari answers. “You’ve just been so different since Dani has come into your life.”

Her name makes me smile but I feel an argument pointing its nose, “What do you mean different?”

“You don’t hear anything anybody else has to say ever since you’ve met her. And when you talk, it’s only ever about her.”

“I don’t talk about her that often.”

“You don’t talk that often anyway. But when you do, it’s always about her.”

“Why can’t you just be happy for me?”

“It’s not that I’m not happy for you; I just want my best friend back.”

She glares at me and skips up the stairs, faster than me, to go see her cheerleading friends. I watch go towards the mass of my girlie peers, as they all walk in for a mass effect. I don’t see why she’s criticizing when I’m always second best to the cheer squad. I’m only her best friend when it suits her.

I roll my eyes and continue up the stairs. As I’m doing so, a hand brushes over my shoulder. I turn around and my heart, surprisingly, doesn’t drop. Yet, it’s Angie.

“Hey,” she voices so sweetly.

“Hey,” I reply.

“Were you and Arianna arguing?”

“Somewhat. Not more than usual.”

It’s weird. I would have dreamt to be next to her right now but Ari is right. I have changed. I am different. Dani means so much more to me than Angie ever did.

“Over what?” she asks. Realizing how private it is, she adds in a softer voice, “If that’s not too personal of course…”

“Over my new ---” I pause. Is Dani really my girlfriend? We’re not ‘official’. But then again, how do you become official? Most people consider changing your relationship status on Facebook to ‘taken’ as being official. “Love interest.”

“Love interest?” she chuckles, “Who’s the lucky guy?”

And this is when I realize why all this time I never got Angie. If she’s been thinking that I’m straight, it’s no wonder that I never got with her.

“Hm…” I start. “It’s a girl actually.”

Angie’s eyes widen, as she gawks at me. She turns her head and looks right in front of her, with a look of amazement but confusion all mixed together.

“I didn’t know, Pris,” she whispers. “But I’m happy it’s working out for you.”

I smile at bit and watch her go. I think I just blew her mind. Well, whatever. I’ve got French now.

* * *

I swing the door of my house open. I got through Monday alive. Thank God. It’s the longest day of the week – I’ve got the most periods. I climb up the stairs to my room, just to put my bag on floor. I then pull out my phone, just to look through. Who am I kidding? I’m checking if I have any messages from Dani.