6 //

The name next to the chapter number will indicate the narrator.

--

6 // Dani

I toss the pickles off of my burger onto my napkin, while Alex and Blue are debating whether or not some girl named Erica Harley is gay or not. We have a lot of useless arguments during our lunch breaks.

I munch of my food and sigh, as their yapping goes on and on.

After a good fifteen minutes of patience, I explode, “Who is Erica Harley anyway?”

They both abruptly stop, staring at me, confused. Blue answers, “The artsy chick in philosophy.”

I think about it for a second, “Her? Yeah, she’s totally gay.”

I smile, as Blue rubs it in Alex’s face that I shared her opinion. Alex turns the visor of her favorite football cap towards the front and drinks some of her soda, scowling. She hates losing.

I love my group of friends. The four of us are tight. We’ve never encountered any bitchiness that girls often tend to create. The only minor case we’ve had was Alex’s interest in Tony’s ex-girlfriend. Once Alex discovered who that girl was, she backed off immediately. That’s just how we are to one another.

Blue settles down, breathless, after celebrating her victory in the debate and stares at me, with a huge smile. I look at her, waiting for her to say something.

“I know something,” she tells me.

“About what?” I ask her.

“You been out with that girl.”

“Which one?” I say, making everyone at the table laugh. I know exactly which one she’s talking about. There are no others. But, I don’t wanna sound whipped in front of my friends, especially given that I haven’t known Pris for long.

“The cute blonde one we saw. The one that kept blushing.”

“Yeah, I saw her today.”

“And?” Blue asks.

I feel the ears of the two others take great interest suddenly. I take a gulp of my beverage and set the container back down in front of me. They’re expecting me to describe a crazy sex adventure but, that’s not what happened. That’s what people think when they see me. That I’m a promiscuous heartbreaker, when all I really want is someone I can eat pizza with in front of Orange Is The New Black. And I feel like Pristina could be that girl. I’m not about to fuck that up.

“Nothing. I’m taking my time.”

Disappointment fills our table. Alex tilts her visor up, revealing her eyes, “She totally wants you though.”

“How do you know that?” Tony asks, taking another bite out of his chicken sandwich.

Alex sits back against her seat. Here she goes again, “Didn’t you see how they were looking at each other? And I saw them at the park.”

Blue turns her head to me, lifting an eyebrow. Alex continues, “She lit told me ‘they were just hanging out’. I thought y’all fucked after that. You tryna make her your new bitch or what?”

My eyes burn as they glare at her, “She’s not my new bitch.”

“You like her,” Tony starts teasing, winking at me. “It’s all cool though, you don’t have to sound sentimental about it.”

“You’re all making a big deal out of nothing. We’re just hanging out,” I reply. “What are we doing tonight?”

“There’s that club down on Chelsea. Wanna go?” Blue suggests.