The Wish

One would think that with a job like yours Melusines face discrimination on a daily basis, that is not the case at least hasn't been for years. It's true that when Melusines first came to Fontaine there was prejudice against them but after some time the nation became more accepting. The affairs you handle are more trivial such as misunderstandings.

Neuvillette still stresses the importance of your position as a legitimate responsibility. Mainly due to evident cases where personal grudges against him were lashed out on Melusines. You didn't mind the lack of action since it meant the Melusines were not facing trouble, you ensured peace not chaos. The interesting part of your job is that it allowed you to become regularly aquainted with the Iudex of Fontaine since you had to report to him frequently. It was endearing he cared about all the little problems of the Melusines from any scale of trivial to intense.

You happened to be patrolling by the Court Region Waterway Hub, specifically the clementine line, when you notice something particular. Aeval, the aquabus operator and guide, seemed to be troubled by something. She is usually enthuastic about her job as she loves telling stories to her passengers and ensuring them an exciting trip that leaves them with a profound admiration for fontaine. For her to look troubled was uncharacteristic,

"Hello Aeval."
You greeted her politely

"Oh! [Name], I didn't notice you."
She corrected her slightly sluggish posture

"Is something troubling you?"

"It's silly, really. You don't have to worry."
She dismisses you

"I don't reccomend dismissing your feelings no matter how trivial they seem. If you ever need to vent you can always come to me."

"You really don't mind?"

"If I did i'd throw this badge into the depths of the sea by now."

You showed her the badge reminding her that it was your job to even lend an ear if needed.

"Well I was giving a tour to a big group they were all enjoying it and the stories I had to tell. There was a timid human child that wanted to ask me something but never brought themselves to fully do it. It made me wonder if they think im scary..."

"Hm, I see"
you started

Aeval's job requires a lot of socialization, she feels most proficient if all her passengers leave satisfied. For a child to be timid is normal but she feels as though she may have intimidated them somehow putting the blame on herself.

"Humans tend to act silly right?"
you ask

"Yes. Why didn't they just ask me the question... what was so scary about me?"

"Well sometimes our emotions cause us to act in weird limiting ways. To be timid isn't exclusive to finding the cause to be scary."

"It's not?"

"Nope, sometimes we become tongue-tied when exposed to incomprehensible or beautiful things. Have you ever seen a human in love? They forget even the most basic abilities and act a little foolish."

"I see what you mean, that kid was young and is probably not used to seeing Melusines."

"Are you on break?"