A Court's Fool

Since that day your meetings with Neuvillette were much more casual as you dropped the strict formalities. Of course you wouldn't forget the importance of maintaing a basic guide of professionalism. It's not like he'd let you completely cross the line either, no one has proved it to be possible to form a close and personal relationship with him in any context.

Though you've already witnessed small moments of him causually doting over the Melusines it was becoming much more apparent why he valued your position. He was protective of them but alas due to his reputation he is limited in his involvment in their affairs since it wouldn't be necessarily fair.

However this happened to result poorly for your own reputation. You took on the role of acting like their guardian of justice. People believe you got the short end of the stick; Melusines tended to become part of the Marechaussee Phantom a much more elite group of authority led by Neuvillette and yet you were still considered under the Maison Gardiennage. Not to say being a Garde is unimportant but it definitely isn't classified as special either.

You believe if people saw his more causal side he wouldn't be viewed as this stoic apathetic figure. That was just another responsibility you had, take the role of the fool with a feather so his title remains pristine and legitimate. If his capability to serve as Iudex of Justice was questioned again it could lead to a collapse in the justice system.
You understood his job was difficult, a heavy and lonesome burden to carry. Which is why you didn't mind humbly appointing yourself the extra role of serving as jester to bring out some laughs. More than often they laughed at you rather than with, even Neuvillette was guilty of that.

Menthe, a member of the Marechaussee Phantom that often stood by Café Lucerne, has asked you to accompany her to the petite furniture shop. The shop retailed furniture and other homegoods especially for children. Menthe is self-conscious about her size and finds it to be the hardest part about integrating into human life so she feels a little embarrassed about entering the store.

"You know Menthe, I actually think childrens furniture is way better with their fun designs."
you say walking by her side

her eyes turn to the side to glance at you
"That's because you're childish... but, I wouldn't mind ocean themed furniture either."

you grinned,
"That's the spirit!"

You stood by your claim, most adult homegoods were dull and modernized in a boring way. Luckily for Menthe they did provide solid colors so she doesn't feel as though her maturity is invalidated. They also had plenty of marine theme furniture and it was just so stimulating to the mind to see all the beautiful designs... why is this only limited to children?!
Melusines have a deep connection to the ocean and are excellent divers, Everallin, another member of the Phantom has a keen observation on the ocean's movements and is able to report signs of storms ahead of time. So it's sensible Menthe values the ocean as much as the others do.

You pass by an isle of decorative plushies and a certain one happens to catch your eye with it's cute beady ones, an Otter. You hadn't noticed before but it sort of resembled Neuvillette in appearance. Picking up the plushy with a smirk you hold it towards Menthe

"Heh guess who this is, (Order! Order in the court!)"
you make a terrible attempt at sounding like Neuvillette

she gapes at you
"Are you mocking Monseuir Neuvillette?!"

"What- pfft no.. that wouldn't be very professional."
you quickly defend

"Mhm.. well now that you mention it, it does look like him."
she tilts her head to observe it closely