Detention

Detention has a different connotation when applied to law rather than academics. They place you in a intimidating room, leaving you in a state of clueless anticipation for a while. No one was explaining anything yet, so it honestly felt ridiculous.

Your brows furrow as you recall the expressions on their faces when viewing the confidential folder. Whatever was in it has to be incriminating if it convinced Neuvillette that you were suspicious enough to be deemed lead suspect. Sure your behavior since the investigation has been loose and reckless but that didn't make you a criminal.

The door handle rattles, normally investigators and Gardes handle detained citizens but it was Neuvillette who entered. You never thought you'd see him look at you with such a cold stern gaze, but alas that's professional protocol against possible perpetrators. Still, you knew he was a reasonable man and that this could be resolved. Then you can see the look of trust and admiration he has for you once again.

"They were apprehensive to let me speak with you, to even take part in investigation surrounding you."
his demeanor was unnerving

"Could you please explain to me what's going on, why I'm being treated as a suspect?"

He places the file from earlier onto the table, it was printed cctv footage shots from the pipes last night. It blatantly shows you crashing into the pipes and running around armed with your sword. You laughed, this was simply just a misunderstanding. The fact they had footage could mean they captured a glimpse of the real perpetrator, especially you chasing after them. However this also meant he knew you went on that stakeout, before you could explain it to him yourself.

"Hah... okay, I can see why that looks bad but Neuvillette you know I was only there to preform a stakeout"

"I wasn't there so I cannot explain your actions, taking this footage at face-value it simply shows you were causing a destructive ruckus"
his face remained serious in contrast to your lighthearted one

"What? No, look there should be traces of.."

Looking back at the screen shots, none of it captured the actual perpetrator- not even glimpse nor a shadow. He looked at you frantically scan the pages, the seriousness of all this was slowly settling in.

"How could I be the perpetrator... I invited you to the stakeout. It wouldn't make sense!"
a solid start on your behalf

"Perhaps that is a valid argument however since the investigation on you has promptly begun, suspicious factors that cannot be ignored keep arising."

"What do you mean?"

"Your investigation journal, I made it clearly apparent last night how important it is to turn in. It was missing from the evidence inventory."
he looks at you, awaiting an explanation

"about that... I may have lost it somewhere within the pipes system."
you answered honestly

"Well isn't that convenient"
his tone laced with light sarcasm
"and what is this I hear about an unreported visit to the pipes system a while back with Rohrette? You did not mention this in your daily reports."

You gulped, recalling the first visit you made to help soothe her of job jitters. She adamantly pled that you do not tell Neuvillette, fearing she'd be deemed as helpless. You bent the rules slightly for her case, a loophole if you will. Still, faced with heavy allegations it was not your place to expose her like that to him.