Kai and Nya's Alt Upbringings

For this one I surprisingly only have one idea- but it's still thought out I promise

So, if their parents were never taken away or anything, I imagine the Smith household would be way better, but not perfect.

In season 15, we see Maya babying Kai and Nya- whether that's just her not seeing her kids in a while or how she really was, I don't know. But for the sake of this, we'll go with the latter.

Not like she was a bad mom by any means- she's probably the best one in my lineup for these AUs- but she had a few issues. Even as Nya and Kai got older, she treated them like kids more often than not. Eventually she grew more lenient on Kai, but still paid close attention to "herbaby:" Nya. That being said, Nya was on the same if not a higher skill level than Kai when it came to controlling her power- but she was still treated like she was fragile.

It's pretty clear who the anger issues go to this time.

And while Maya was the more caring and concerned parent, Ray was the laid-back but protective parent.

Having said alllllll that, it didn't take their kids long to discover their powers.

Either Ray couldn't keep his mouth shut about it, or they sprung up unexpectedly, but for almost all of their lives, Kai and Nya knew about them.

And since their parents were well known elemental masters, they had it pretty easy growing up. Well- if you don't count the normal bullies you'd expect at their age.

Oh, the problems they'd cause.

We know that- in canon- since Kai was so overprotective, Nya probably didn't have to worry much about bullying. And if she did, she could sure as hell handle herself.

I like to think the opposite is true here. Nya is the one more people feared, and even though they rarely mess with Kai, he still has trouble with them... the different is he gets hurt way more regardless.

But all in all they had a pretty content life at the blacksmith shop. How'd they end up going to the Monastery then? Well it still has something to do with the situation from the pilot episode.

After years of Ray and Maya trying to keep their kids from danger, it finds them. But, since literally all of them know how to fight, nobody is kidnapped and the skeleton army gets tfo

Then Ray and Maya are like "That was way too close of a call yall r going to this magic temple on a hill"

And that's how they met the others :)

Overall for their personalities, Kai is still the brotherly type, but acts more like how he does in later seasons. He's a bit less careless with himself, to be sure, so he's still not all that cautious. His powers are 'his or miss' most of the time, so he'll either do it perfectly or set something on fire- maybe even both.

And Nya is more mature than him, then- which probably wasn't a surprise. Despite how snappy she can be or how easily she gets irritated, she still has a soft spot for the ones she's closest to. But they're still not safe from her outbursts.

Now for some fun anecdotes:

-Kai still has his scar, and several others, from doing the dumbest shit

-Ray and Maya have their dragons because of the years of elemental training. Kai and Nya tried to summon their own one time and nearly passed out from the exertion

-Nya can make little Hurricanes or storms if she's angry

-Kai still has a fear of water, and it may or may not have something to do with how facial scar 👀

-He doesn't mind if Nya dates anyone- it's not him they need to worry about: its her

-Nya can be super scary without meaning to, but she can use that to her advantage

-Nya found out about her powers first, and Kai did a few months later

I think that's about it- also um let's just not question my absence for the past month :|

But I'm back on this at least lol