Chapter 1 : The Kashyaps & The Chauhans

“Sneha beta, be at your best behaviour. Try to make everyone your friend. And NO. MISCHIEF!” - Avni instructed her daughter for the millionth time since morning.

The BMW X7 was carrying The Kashyaps towards their destination; The Chauhans. Avni and Savika, Sneha's mother and aunt respectively, were seated in the 1st row. Sneha was seated behind them with Rithik, her honorary cousin, while her father Mohit and uncle Namish, Rithik's father, were seated in the last row, discussing business — as usual.

The long and smooth road felt neverending as they have been out since morning and it was nearly noon now. But the road couldn't be blamed either as the distance from Pune to Mumbai was bound to take its due time.

“Yes Maaaaa...” - Sneha stretched.

Beside Sneha, Rithik sniggered. “Nehu and no mischief ? Unlikely.”

Sneha glared at him making him press his lips together to suppress a laugh.

“Don't worry Nehu, I won't tell Tai Maa that you have planned to put purgative powder in your in-laws food as a means of announcing your arrival.”

Avni looked on in horror while Savika burst out laughing. Sneha gasped, her eyes as wide as saucers.

“I HAVE NOT!” - Sneha swore holding her neck and shaking her head vehemently. She glared daggers at Rithik who was wheezing by now and attacked his hair with her hands.

“AHHHH! TAI MAA RESCUE!” - Rithik cried out as Sneha pulled at his hair.

“MAKING FUN OF ME! YOU WILL DO THE SAME IN FRONT OF MY IN-LAWS!” - she gasped at her own words. “What will they think of me ?! No, I won't spare you...”

“Rithik, Nehuuu....” - Savika tried to stop the usual sibling fight in between laughter while Avni faced forward again, shaking her head at the two with a smile.

How soon daughters grow up... She felt it was just yesterday when the nurse had handed over a baby wrapped in velvety soft blanket. She still remembered the feeling of holding her daughter for the first time. But wasn't it just yesterday when Sneha had taken her first steps ? Just yesterday when she came running to Avni, waving her first 1st position trophy at her ? When she smiled bright delivering the valedictory while Avni and Mohit cheered for her proudly ?

Time really flies. Specially when you are parents to a daughter. Everything feels just yesterday no matter how many years pass.

“We are here!” - Rithik shouted, trying to escape Sneha's assault. He was successful as the later straightened up, an excited smile forming on her face.

Chauhan Mansion was grand, standing tall on pillars adorned with slate gray Italian marble. The black iron gates opened for their entrance through the driveway whose either side was the beautiful vast lawn. Sneha's smile just kept widening as she saw through the window her would-be inlaws stepping out to welcome them with warm smiles.

“Avni!” - Kaya, Kabir's mother and Sneha's would-be mother-in-law, cried out in happiness and engulfed Avni in a warm hug.

The friendship of the two families was as old as their children. The Chauhans used to be the neighbours of The Kashyaps in Pune and it continued for years until one day, Mandira, the elder sister of Chauhan brothers, met with a tragedy as her husband died in an accident. The Chauhans then shifted to Mumbai in Mandira's neighborhood for family support and ever since, were settled there. But even the distance could not affect the strong bond the two families shared. They frequently met on festivals, holidays and celebrating any of the family member's success together.

“Where is my Sneha ?!” - Kaya asked breaking the hug, her eyes already on her would-be daughter-in-law who was getting down the car.

“Yeah yeah, just Sneha matters now.” - Avni teased good-naturedly.