Chapter 10 : I Don't Believe You

From Malabar Hill, Siddhivinayak took some fifteen minutes to reach. The chefs who had arrived minutes before them, took charge of the ration and started with the food for orphans. The entire process of the pooja and food making turned morning into afternoon as they had expected. After the pooja, the orphan children were called to sit in rows where they were served with the food. The temple was not only a place to worship but a piece of fine art as well. That's why, while the elders remained in sanctum for important discussions with the priest, the youngsters dispersed to explore the architecture.

Sneha stood at the top of the stairs, holding a waterpot in hands as Kaya had asked her to pour it in the river and complete the ritual with Kabir. He was nowhere to be seen and honestly, she was not making efforts in looking for him either. She could complete the ritual on her own as well. Her focus was instead on, Mahir — obviously. She had last seen him while serving the food to the children with Kabir. After that, he just disappeared into air. And she needed to talk to him.

Sighing, she descended the stairs towards the edge of the river which was slightly crowded with other families, mostly to-be wedded couples doing the same ritual. She got wistful, her mind automatically imagining herself with Mahir. Him hugging her from behind as she poured the water into the river, wide smiles on their faces.

Sigh. Yes, they needed to talk.

Pulling herself together, she made way among the people. The floor was wet right by edge due to continuous water pouring and before she could get the time to steady herself, she slipped. A loud and involuntary yelp escaped her as she felt her feet leaving the edge.

When two arms wrapped around her waist from behind and pulled her back at the last moment.

Her heart thudded wildly. Not only because of the adrenaline rush but also because she realized at once who was her saviour. Those mascular arms, the possessive hands that held her in place, whose prints she was having on her wrist since last night. The very same that hadn't let her sleep for reasons far away from pain and close, very close to indecency.

Without turning around, she poured the water of the pot in the river, a smile on her face as her wish got fulfilled in some twisted way. She threw the pot at last and turned to the owner of the charismatic personality that lured one to that embodiment of danger.

In other words, Mahir.

He pulled her away from the edge, towards a dry and safe area before taking his arms off her. She instantly felt the loss of his warmth.

“How can you be so careless Sneha ?! Pulling stunts with water when you don't even know swimming!” - he admonished, his tone laced with worry.

But she was not listening. She froze realizing he also remembered about her struggle with the water. How she used to find excuses to opt out of pool games back in school.

“You know you could have-”

“Where have you been ?!” - she cut him off instead, making him blink. “I was looking for you all over!”

And he was back to his normal self again — which was being moody with a mocking smirk on face.

“Why ? Got free of food serving with your fiance early ?” - he asked sweetly.

God, he pushed her buttons like no other! “What is it with ‘your fiance’ lately ? Can't you-”

“Because he is. And you should remember that 24/7. Because I do.” - his smirk had vanished now. Tone changing as well.

He turned to leave when she said : “If your memory is so sharp, you must remember that we were about to kiss last night in the taxi...”

He stopped dead in his tracks. His shoulders tensing up. She kept staring at his back, ready for his any retort, gibe or taunt. She was ready for everything as she was done beating around the bush.