Chapter 23 : Always

Were the roads of Alwar always that busy, or was it another examination of his, Mahir didn't know. Leaned back on the seat of the taxi, he had his eyes on the blur of vehicles passing by. The gusts of wind in the night and the speed of the car made his hair ruffle but he was heedless. The background noise of the chirpy driver's nonstop talking was something on which he would have snapped in his usual, normal mood. But his remaining indifferent and zoned out alone was enough to hint how not okay he was.

"You are going to UK for studies ?" - the driver asked cheerfully, wanting to engage him in a conversation.

No response.

The driver made a face at Mahir through the rear-view mirror, deeming him rude, and switched on the radio to entertain himself. He kept changing stations until one came playing Indian songs.

"Aahaha! Sonu Ji's voice is unmatched!" - the driver exclaimed, enjoying the track.

Aankhon ne kuch aise ch'hua,
Halka halka uns hua,
Dil kooo... mehsoos hua...
Tu hi tu, tu hi tu,
Jeene ki sari khushboo,
Tu hi tu, tu hi tu,
Aarzoo, aarzoo...

Mahir's eyes closed at the words. Why was the universe so hellbent to keep him in pain by Sneha's reminder ? Why did the lyrics feel like they were direct taunts at him and his one and only unfulfilled wish ? Anything that could remind him of her, he had left behind. The earrings, his laptop that had thousands of notes just on her. But how to leave his heart and mind behind which she ruled undisputedly ? How to get her out of there ?

Tere jism ki aanch ko ch'hoote hi,
Mere saans sulagne lagte hen,
Mujhe ishq dilasey deta hai,
Mere dard bilakne lagte hen...

Hot tears burned his closed eyes. His lashes drenched and slowly, the tears rolled down his cheeks. His aching heart beat at a dangerously slow pace but even then, he was sure the chant was of her name. The feel of her lips against his, her small hands fitting into hers, her electrifying touch everything flashed through his mind. Fueling the longing for her within him. Longing, not just for her touch but for her soul. To have those eyes looking at him, just him, with love. For her to be... his.

Teri raahon mein uljha uljha hoon,
Teri baahon mein uljha uljha,
Suljhane de hosh mujhe teri,
Chaahon mein uljha hoooonnnn...

He opened his eyes as tears continued to fall. His fingers rolling into fists. Ever since he knew what love was, he was lost in her. Everything about her was a part of his existence now. Every nerve of his body was entangled with hers so complexly that-

Mera jeena junoon, mera marna junoon,
Ab iske siwa nahin koi sukoon...

A long breath tore through his chest and left his mouth. That only death could detangle them.

The sudden breaks to the car had him lurking forward and get out of his thoughts. "What happened ?" - he inquired the driver, frowning.

The driver grimaced. Getting down the car, he opened the bonet to check what was the problem. After some impatient five minutes on Mahir's side, the driver closed the bonet again and gave him an apologetic look. "It looks like the universe doesn't want you to leave this place. First the unusual traffic and now there is a problem in the engine which has never happened before."

Mahir sighed and got down the car. They were nearly at the airport anyways. He could see the gate at a walking distance. He took out thousand rupees from his wallet and handed over the driver.

"Sir I don't have the change-"

"It's alright. Get your car fixed." - Mahir said, picking up his bag from the seat.