Chapter 3 : Curiosity Killed The Cat

The next morning, Sneha was up early. She had failed to return to sleep after her encounter with Mahir. She kept tossing and turning in bed, changing positions while thinking about her childhood friend.

But was the guy she met last night the same from her childhood ?

That was the thought which had her disturbed. Sure he used to fight with her, but he was never rude. Infact, Mahir always took care of her, used to fight with Kabir to play with her and if by chance, she played with Kabir, Mahir used to be angry with her for days. Until the Chauhans were in Pune, all the children went to the same school. Mahir always carried her bag for her. He was a grumpy and moody kid who didn't like sharing his things but he always shared his lunch with her, only her.

Then what happened that he changed so much ?

Last night she saw something strange in his eyes. There were complains, there was anger, there was arrogance, but something more which she couldn't pinpoint. Something intense and far more dangerous than his warning.

“...beta... Sneha!”

She startled, her train of thoughts breaking. The entire family was gathered at the breakfast table and every head was turned towards her at the moment, looking concerned. Blood rushed to her face at being the center of attention, also, she didn't know what had been said.

“Sorry... I got lost for a moment...” - she said sheepishly.

Kaya frowned. “You are awfully quiet dear, is everything okay ?”

Again, every eye was on her awaiting an answer. She smiled as assuringly as she could and nodded. “I am fine. Actually, was unable to get a proper sleep last night that's all...”

“Sometimes it happens due to change of atmosphere.” - Anushka said, nodding understandingly. “Eat something beta, you'll feel better.”

“I'm not feeling like it Anu Chachi. Maybe a bath would do me better.” - Sneha excused, already standing up.

They all smiled understandingly and Sneha made her way towards the stairs.

“It's okay Mohit, change of weather and place does that. Also, girls get a little nervous as their wedding nears...”

Sneha heard her mother assuring her father.

“Raviii! I have asked you thrice to call Mahir down on breakfast! Where's he ?”

Sneha stilled at the middle of the staircase. Her sense of hearing sharpening.

“Mahir baba had left for jogging around 6 madam. I forgot to inform you.”

“And it's 8 now. What kind of jogging it is ? And what's wrong with this guy lately ? He is spending more time outside then inside the house. It's his brother's wedding and he is acting so irrelevant like a distant cousin is getting married!” - Kaya's words were expressing annoyance but her tone was laced with worry for her stubborn son. “Didi, you have to talk to him. He only listens to you.” - she pleaded to Mandira.

“Don't worry Kayaaa.. I will...”

Sneha zoned out while resuming ascending the stairs. Her feet automatically stopped outside Mahir's room as she came into the hallway.

Don't do it.

Her brain warned. But she decided to ignore it and pulled at the doorknob. Only, it didn't open like last night. Apparently locked.

“Mahir baba is out on jog madam.” - Her head whipped to her right to see a servant mopping the corridor. “The room remains locked in his absence.”