Chapter 17 : Just A Moment Of Passion (?)

It was 12 in the night when Sneha stirred in her sleep. Her phone constantly vibrating on the nightstand waking her up. Groaning, she switched on the lamp and picked her phone to check who was it.

Kabir.

She instantly became wide awake and quickly received the call.

“Hello... WHAT ?!... Okay okay I'm coming.”

She pushed the dovet aside and made a beeline for the bathroom to change from her nightgown to some decent clothes. Five minutes later, she stepped out of her room, being very careful with her footsteps to not make any noise. The hallway was dimly lit and as she descended the stairs and crossing the grand hall came out in the courtyard, she found it dark. She carefully walked further and frowned when didn't spot Kabir anywhere. Impatient, she dialed his number.

“Kabir... I'm in the courtyard where are you ?” - she whisper-shouted while looking around.

“I am outside the haveli.” - came his reply.

“Outside ? Okay I'm coming.” - she whispered and cutting the call, made her way out the gates.

What she failed to notice was the silhouette sitting on the fence of the fountain.

~

The morning dawned around 6. The dark devil slowly leaving its clutches from the sky and giving way to the light. But the haveli woke around 8. The Diwali celebrations took a toll on everyone and they slowly started coming down on breakfast table around half past 8.

“Everyone, I want you all to meet Nisha.” - Mandira adressed them all at the breakfast table, her hand on the shoulder of a girl seated right beside her. “She is the daughter of a very close friend of mine who lives in Mumbai. Her mother had to go out of city for some work so i called Nisha here.”

Sneha smiled at Nisha in welcome. The girl had shoulder length black hair, a round face and fair complexion. And behaviour vise, she didn't have the air of superiority around her. Infact, she was warm to everyone, answering questions humbly and politely that radiated positive energy.

“Mahir is again late ?” - Kaya asked looking around the table.

Sneha sighed. Ever since she had taken a seat at the table, she was waiting for him. Although she was up by 7 and had taken a relaxed morning walk in the courtyard hearing the melodies of the birds, she didn't see him leaving for the jog or returning. Did he miss his jog today ?

“Ravi, go and tell Mahir that everyone's waiting-”

“And the wait is over.” - Mahir announced, walking inside.

Sneha sucked in a breath. He was simply dressed in plain black shirt, sleeves rolled up, over black jeans. His hair slightly damp and a fringe or two coming on forehead was enough to make girls go weak in the knees. But he was not having mercy and surprisingly, had a smile on his face that was final nail in her coffin.

She picked up the glass of water and took a big sip, pleading with her heart to calm down. And her brain had to be her worst enemy for conjuring up images of them from last night in her room. She nearly emptied the glass now.

“Mahir, meet Nisha.” - Mandira introduced with a bright smile.

Mahir smiled at Nisha and nodded his head while taking a seat. Sneha tried to catch his eyes to sign him to sit on the vacant chair beside her which she had reserved for him but he didn't even look in her direction. He was attentively listening to Mandira as she went into detailing about Nisha and sat beside Raniya.

Sneha was already tossing the omelette with fork in her plate in Mahir's wait and now lost her appetite altogether.

“Would you like me to pour you some juice ?” - Raniya asked him, holding the jug.

‘No, his hands are intact!’ - Sneha thought, stabbing the fork in the piece of omelette.

“Yeah sure.” - Mahir replied and smiled in thanks when she did so.

By now, Sneha had minced her omelette beyond repair. Her eyes glaring daggers but this time, at Mahir. This continued throughout the breakfast. He ignored her like she was not even there while continued chatting with every other member. But Sneha had enough when some crumbs of bread fell on his shirt and Raniya, being the annoying flirt she was, raised her hand to brush them away.

That's it. Sneha was going to break the glass on that girl's head, the consequences be damned! But God decided to intervene and save the drama from happening.

“Ma'am, the choreographer is here.” - Ravi came to inform just then. The youngsters squealed and elders became excited as well. They all picked their respective mugs of tea or coffee and hurried out the dining hall.

Only Sneha and Mahir remained behind.

He continued eating his breakfast, so calmly and relaxedly. His eyes fixed on his food like she was not seated opposite him. She slammed her palms on the table, trying to catch his attention but to no avail. Finishing up, he wiped his mouth with the napkin and stood up.

“Mahir!” - she cried out, panic rising within her. Standing up, she came around the long table towards him but he didn't stop. She jogged the last few steps to him and blocked his way by standing in front.

“Why are you ignoring me ?” - she demanded.

He looked aside, bored. Her anger rose along with the restlessness. She got closer and held his collar in her fists, forcing him to look at her. Her heart sank at his empty and indifferent eyes.

He held her wrists and freed his collar from her hold. “My life, my choices.” - he said calmly and left her hands.

She stared at him, shocked. “Mahir... last night when we were... we had a moment... and I thought...” - she was failing to form a coherent sentence, her voice too shaky. The fear of losing him evident in her tone.

He smirked, his eyes mocking. “As you said, we had a moment. And it was just that. A moment of passion. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Sneha stilled. The ground beneath her feet shaking. He had to be kidding. How could he...

He straightened his collar and started to walk away but she held both his arms, not letting him go. “Mahir please... don't test me. I KNOW you love me, I have SEEN it your eyes! Stop it, please STOP IT!”

He raised a brow. “Love ? Where did that come from ?”

His casual tone was cutting through her gut.

“See we both are attracted to each other. Neither I love you nor you love me so stop with this drama. You are boring me out lately and I am honestly done. So be reasonable and get off my back.” - he freed himself again, his tone hardening at the end.

She staggered back, tears welling up in her eyes. He was lying. She knew it! The unmistakable intensity in his eyes whenever he looked at her was something more than just attraction. He claimed time and again he didn't care but always ended up caring about her the most. He tried to ignore her but was freaking out when she jumped into the lake. She practically declared him unavailable yesterday but he didn't even bate an eye let alone contradict her. No girl, no matter however beautiful, had ever succeeded in grabbing his attention whereas she had him ON HIS KNEES last night. Showing a possession so fierce that surpassed the line of mere desire.

So WHY was he hurting her like that ?!With that blood cold tone and words sharper than the shards of glass ?! Just last night he was threatening to burn the place if she danced with Kabir so what changed overnight ?! Something was a miss but WHAT ?!

“Now excuse me please. The choreographer is here and I have to finalize my dance partner.” - he said with a sharp smile and brush passed her out of the hall. Leaving behind his intoxicating smokey cedar wood scent in the air.

She wiped her eyes. Determination taking over her expressions again and turned on her heels to join the bane-of-her-existence dance practice.