Chapter 18 : Perfect Partners

“Okay guys, pair up! Quick!”

Everybody was present in the main hall. The elders were seated on the sofas to watch while the youngsters were gathered together as the choreographer gave them a briefing on the dance steps.

Sneha was standing with Kabir but her eyes were on Mahir who was leaned against a pillar, his hands in the pockets while calmly observing everything.

“But but but. There's a twist.” - Disha stepped forward, smiling mischievously. “No one gets to select their partners on their own. We'll draw lots.”

The hooting that followed made Sneha known that it was a collective plan of the siblings.

“But Bhai and Bhabhi are spared from this trickery because they have all the privileges for getting married.” - Drish piped in, rubbing his hands gleefully.

Sneha's heart sank. She didn't want to dance with Kabir and it had nothing to do with Mahir's demand last night. Even if he had not asked her to, she already was against dancing with anyone that was not Mahir.

“Well that's unfair. Why shouldn't we have the fun of the game as well ?” - Sneha asked frankly, playfully narrowing her eyes at Drish.

They all went quiet. Not expecting her to say that.

“Sneha is absolutely right! We won't miss out on the games just because of the wedding!” - Kabir added in her support, a mischievous grin on his face. “Add our names on the chits as well!” - he said to Nisha who was writing names on the paper. “Just for the practice guyssss...” - he assured everyone, making them smile.

Nisha chuckled. She picked chits on her palms and walked towards them. “Okay. You are getting married so pick the chits first.” - she offered warmly.

Kabir and Sneha picked one each before Nisha moved ahead. Kabir opened his and chuckled. “Nisha it's you...”

Nisha's eyes widened while everyone laughed. “Oh I guess I have the privilege to dance with the groom-to-be. Better luck next time you guys.” - she joked with mock attitude and laughingly went to stand beside Kabir.

Nervously, Sneha opened her chit and her face broke into a victorious smile. ‘Oh God, I love you! I knew I'm your favourite child!’

“Mahir.” - she stated to everyone's awaiting eyes while her eyes were on him.

His head snapped to her at hearing his name. Shock was visible on his face along with that emotion he called ‘attraction’. Hn. Sneha barely stopped herself from rolling her eyes.

“Lucky you Bhabhi! Mahir Bhai is a mighty fine dancer.” - Divya said excitedly.

Sneha felt her smile widening. “Really ? Let's see then.”

Everybody else started with their chits meanwhile she walked towards Mahir, her gait smug. He left the support of the pillar seeing her coming and she was sure, was about to leave the place. But she didn't let him, as always, and her fingers curled around his wrist.

“Shall we partner ?” - she asked sweetly.

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. “Sneha please...” - he sounded tired, broken. And her heart gave a sharp pang at that. “Stop this all. You might be taking all of this as a big, thrilling game but you have no idea what it's doing to me.”

Her heart skipped a beat. “Then tell me what it's doing to you Mahir. Say what I want you to say!” - she whispered desperately.

His face turned to her, expressions hard. “Are you doing what I want you to do ?”

She let out a huff of frustration. “What do you want me to do ?!”

He bit the inside of his cheek, controlling his temper. “Nothing.” - he deadpanned and freed his wrist from her clutches.

“Sneha! Mahir! Hurry up guys!” - Shreya called them out.

Mahir closed his eyes again, seemingly stuck, and exhaled a defeated sigh. Together, they joined others at the center of the hall, facing the choreographer.

“So, there are gonna be a number of dances.” - the choreographer started. “Group, couples, girls vs boys and a grand family one. Let's start with-”

“Couple dances!” - Sneha and Kabir interrupted at once, making everyone give them teasing smiles.

The choreographer chuckled. “Okay. As you wish. Everyone, face your partner.”

Sneha and Mahir turned to each other and everything else faded away. She didn't need the choreographer's instructions anyways for placing her hands on Mahir's shoulders and step close to him. His hands came to rest at her waist but he was hesitant in his touch, clearly maintaining a distance between them which made her frown.

“Tuck your right elbow beneath your partner’s armpit.” - the choreographer instructed the guys. “Rest your right hand on your partner’s left shoulder blade. It will allow you to guide your partner on the floor.”

Mahir followed and the action created even more distance between them. Sneha didn't like that at all. His left hand clasped with hers and she stepped closer to him, reducing all the distance mandatory for the dance. He tried stepping back but her arm curled around his neck, blocking every way to escape.

She saw his eyes darkening before they averted aside. “Sneha...” - he whispered warningly.

“What ? I thought two people attracted to each other crave to be close as much as possible.” - she whispered, blinking innocently as he glared at her.

“Move your left foot to the left, then bring your right foot over. Repeat this step by stepping to the left with your left foot again and moving your right foot over once more.” - the choreographer instructed while performing the step himself with his partner. “You and your dance partner’s feet should be in sync when you do this.” - he reminded.

Sneha smiled. Without even looking down, she and Mahir were in sync. Smoothly moving their feet even when they were closer than necessary.

“We are perfect partners.” - she whispered, losing herself in his eyes. There was such a peace being in his arms. She felt protective and possessed, loved and cherished even if those eyes held complains and fire. Oh she wanted to get completely burned in it.

His hand in her changed angle, holding her fingers as he twirled her around. Some of her hair flipped over his shoulder as her back softly hit his chest. For her, if the time stopped there and she kept swaying in his arms for a lifetime, it would be worth it.

“Dance partners.” - he corrected, his breath on the shell of her ear sending a chill down her spine.

She twirled herself, facing him again and wrapped both arms around his neck. His hands automatically came to rest at her waist, their eyes boring into each other's. “We can be more, if you want.” - she whispered as they swayed.

His gaze sharpened, hands tightening at her waist. “Do you even realize what are you saying ?” - he hissed, furious.

She blinked, unable to understand why did he get angry. Did she say something wrong ?

He disentangled her arms from his neck and stepped back. Luckily, the choreographer finished guiding the dance steps just then and nobody noticed their unusual behaviour.

“For the first attempt, it was pretty good.” - the choreographer said, clapping lightly. “But you guys need a lot of practice. Except for these two.” - he pointed towards Sneha and Mahir. “These two were so in sync and have amazing dance chemistry.”

Sneha couldn't stop her lips from curling into a warm smile and turned her head to Mahir who was already looking at her, his gaze melancholic and filled with longing. The longing in his eyes was not for physical closeness as he so adamantly claimed. No. The fire in his eyes demanded a possession on her. All of her. The boundaries of mere attraction were crossed. Yet he was stubborn and stood still on his dome of denial.

‘Told you. We are perfect partners.’ - her eyes spoke with his.

‘Dance partners.’ - his eyes replied, the melancholy rising and he looked away.