Chapter 9 : You Won't Understand

With a tray in one hand that had a glass of turmeric milk and pain killer in it, Sneha placed her other hand on the doorknob of Mahir's room and twisted.

Locked.

She sighed, already expecting that and had came prepared as well. Biting her lip as guilt flooded her system, she inserted the spare key she still had of his room and unlocked the door. She knew she should not have kept that but for some unknown reasons, had decided against returning it.

As she entered the room, she found Mahir stood by the window, looking at the sky. The smoke around him alerted her he was smoking and apparently thinking something so deeply that did not even register her presence. Shaking her head, she placed the tray on the nightstand and moved towards him. He finally realized she was there when she took the cigarette from his mouth and casually dropped it in the ash tray.

“Injurious to health.” - she said calmly as he looked at her in disbelief. She knew he was shocked how she has entered his room but decided to ignore it. “I have brought pain killers for you with turmeric milk.” - she said, grabbing his wrist and leading him towards the nightstand.

He came out of his disbelief and held her wrist when she made to pick up the glass and pills. She gasped as he twisted her arm behind her back and used it as leverage to push her more into him.

Her breathing caught in her throat. She went pliant in his hold, surrendering herself to him. She knew she was totally defenseless in front of him. He had conquered her heart, had taken over her mind and had seeped deep into her soul.

“You know what's even more injurious ? Us around each other!” - he growled, eyes glaring into hers. “The more I try to stay away from you, the more you test me by remaining around. I can't believe you have stolen my room's spare key and carry it with you all the time.” - he punctuated his words by tightening his hold and making her whimper.

She felt butterflies. Heat pooled in her belly and goosebumps appeared on her body. The hold was creating a delicious mixture of pain and pleasure in her and her face flushed.

“Why is it so difficult for you to leave me be ?” - he asked annoyed.

Her heart thudded loudly. Should she tell him ? Tell him all the ways in which he affected her ? Tell him the way he set her soul on fire with just a look. Tell him that her eyes were helpless in wanting to keep looking at him all the time ?

Mahir's phone on the nightstand rang before she could open her mouth. They both glanced at the screen.

Kabir.

He turned to her with a mocking smile. “Ah, connection of hearts. You are here and your fiance is calling.” - he left her wrist with a jerk, making her stagger back. His tone was biting that cut through her gut.

He picked up the call, turning his back to her whereas she was focused on the pain killers and milk intact in the tray. He was holding the phone with the same hand and her heart gave a sharp pang at his bruised knuckles. An insane idea popped in her mind that could be very risky but she was past the point of caring. He was talking and his mouth was closing and opening accordingly, she just needed to match the timing.

Picking up the pills and glass from the tray, she went to stand in front of him and pushed the pills in his mouth as it opened. He stared at her wide eyed at her sheer audacity but she ignored and forcefully made him take some sips from the glass.

His eyes shone with a promise of comeback and she knew it was unwise to stay any longer. With the tray and half emptied glass in hands, she turned on her heels and ran out the room. Leaning against the wall outside, she caught her breathing. Feeling like one feels after successfully crossing a heavily trafficked road.