Chapter 2 : Meet (not so) Cute

“Lord! It looks like you don't take care of your hair at all...” - Mandira tched, massaging oil in Sneha's head methodically.

Both families were gathered in the living room after a cozy dinner. The day had flew by in performing pooja, members catching up with one another on their lives over evening snacks and planning about the wedding. Sneha, who was seated cross legged on the floor in Mandira's feet, chuckled at the complain.

“Com'on Maa, Sneha has the silkiest and the healthiest hair of us all!” - Shreya said, winking at Sneha as they both knew she was riling her mother up.

But it was true. Sneha's long brunette hair that went all the way to her sacrum was naturally straight and silky. But Mandira was that dearest aunt of all the children of both families who literally showered love on everyone. She had those imaginary glasses on eyes through which every child of the family looked thinner or weaker than before to her.

“I don't think there's any one on this planet who is spared of Mini Boo's classic hair oiling.” - Drish piped in, joining in the tease. Everybody chuckled.

“There is. Mahir.” - Mandira said with a sour face like she was salty over that, and it only made others laugh harder.

Sneha on the other hand got into thinking mode. All day had passed but Mahir was still out. She had inquired about him at the dining table and Mahesh told her that Mahir had informed he'll be late. Was it just a coincidence or was he actually avoiding her ? How was it possible that they had never met even for once in the past 10 years ? Sure they used to fight a lot as kids but he couldn't be that serious about those silly fights to ignore her for the rest of their lives ? She hoped not because she really missed him. Was dying to meet him. She didn't even know how he looked like now 10 years later. There were no any photos of him in the entire house as well.

“Bua...”

“Mmhmm...” - Mandira responded while using her fingertips to even out the oil on her scalp.

“Why is there no photo of Mahir on any of the wall ?” - she asked, her curiosity rearing its head.

Mandira chuckled. “Because my moody munchkin doesn't like being clicked. You'll find one or two selfies of his but only in his room.” - Mandira's tone was so soft while talking about Mahir, it was clear she was very fond of him. “And don't let him know that I called him munchkin!” - she ordered playfully.

Sneha smiled. This Mahir was getting more and more interesting. She was even more intrigued in meeting him now. After all, how much could a person change in a decade ?

~

The clock chimed 1 in the morning when Sneha rose from her deep slumber. Her throat felt dry and the need to have water was so strong that had risen her from sleep. Frowning, she switched on the lamp and clumsily searched for the glass on the nightstand.

Her hand met just the surface of the table.

Her frown deepening, she fully opened her eyes to see that no glass or jug was there. She facepalmed as she remembered that she had forgot to bring any before retiring to bed.

“Godddd...” - she groaned. She absolutely hated leaving the comfort of bed specially in the middle of the night.

Putting aside the quilt, she rolled her hair in a bun and got up. She was wearing a baby pink spaghetti strap silky nightie and didn't bother to done the silky shrug that was resting on the nearby couch, thinking that everybody would be asleep anyway and she would be quick.

The hallway was dark as she stepped out of her room. Walking a little further, she went towards the boards to switch on a light. The golden glow lit her path, making her smile. But the smile soon vanished and her face took on a panicked look as she saw a lizard on the floor. Right in the middle of the hallway.