Chapter 16 : The Possession Over Each Other

The feast was a grand affair that night. Four rectangular dining tables were joined to make a long one where the entire family along with close relatives present could fit in. Sneha didn't hesitate to slip in the chair right beside Mahir even in the presence of everyone. Raniya tried to take on Mahir's other side but Kabir sat there and Sneha couldn't be happier.

“I guess, I'm between you guys.” - Mahir said to Kabir in a quiet voice and tried to get up but Sneha placed her hand over his under the table. Her fingers sliding along his wrist upto his finger and locked tightly.

“Oh no, you are not. We are seated perfectly.” - Kabir said calmly with a smile that made Mahir frown.

The elders were at the farther end of the table, giving the youngsters space to bond and enjoy. So on Sneha's right, was Shreya, Disha, Taniya, Drish. On Kabir's end, the table was ending so opposite him were Rithik, Divya, and ironically, it was Raniya who was exact opposite Sneha. And the later didn't like the former's eyes on Mahir.

“So... what do you do Raniya ?” - Sneha's question not only startled Raniya, but the cousins around her as well. “Shreya introduced us the other day but we didn't get the time to bond.” - Sneha said smoothly, unfazed by everyone's surprising gaze.

She could feel Mahir's eyes on her but she kept her gaze on Raniya, smiling radiantly as she awaited a response.

“I have just completed my degree in photography. And I plan to persue a career in the same.” - Raniya replied, a touch of arrogance in her tone and attitude as she flipped her hair back. “What have you done ?”

Did Raniya sound haughty ? Absolutely. And Sneha was having a lot of fun.

“Masters of Botany, Pune University. I was the valedictorian last year.” - she told calmly while her thumb sensually rubbed Mahir's hand and mightily enjoyed the colour draining from Raniya's face. What did she think ? Nobody else studied in the world beside her ?

“Wow Bhabhi! I didn't know that!” - Disha exclaimed in awe.

“So what are your plans ahead ?” - Kabir directed his question to Raniya, continuing the conversation.

“Mum's planning on getting her married but she is being stubborn.” - it was her sister Taniya who answered with a roll of her eyes.

“Why ? Fancy someone ?” - Shreya teased, earning chuckles around the table.

Sneha didn't miss the way Raniya's eyes settled on Mahir once again who was calmly continuing his meal with the left hand. Thank goodness he was a lefty...

“She must.” - Sneha said, making Raniya go wide eyed. “I mean, it's become a tradition nowadays. Liking someone and hiding. No Mahir ?” - she turned to him, making him look at her.

Everybody around her went quiet. Mahir squeezed her hand, silently asking ‘what are you doing ?’ And she squeezed in return, with a caress of her thumb. ‘Telling them you are mine without saying it.’

“Mahir ?” - it was Shreya who broke the silence, raising a brow teasingly.

Sneha's eyes gleamed mischievously. “Well yes, he has a girlfriend but hasn't told anyone.”

Mahir's eyebrows shot upto his hairline. So did everyone's at the table, except for Kabir who was smiling into the glass while sipping juice.

“He has ?” - several people asked at once but Sneha enjoyed Raniya's the most. Disappointment was written over the arrogant girl's face.

“Mmhmm.” - Sneha nodded, taking a sip from the strawberry juice. If she mistakenly picked Mahir's glass while talking, she was unaware. “But that's not the point at the moment. I was saying that if one likes someone, he/she should tell their family.” - she smoothly turned the focus back on Raniya while making her point which was...