Chapter 17

ELI

Checking the time in counting is 5:07 and Im on my way to finish up some errands before I pick up Larenz. I ride down the boulevard jamming my tunes and just rocking out. I check my teeth and my hair in the rear view mirror. I give myself a quick smile and I continue to drive. Im lowkey excited to actually be hanging out with Larenz. Even though I kept contemplating if I should even show up at his house and not call or should I go.

But what if he gets all fine like he always does and then I just bail on him. I dont wanna play with his feelings. And that's gonna look bad on my part. I just really don't want to mess up this opportunity or be moving to fast. But Larenz said we can take it as slow as we need to.

I was just ready to see what tonight brings. And I'm totally down for another date with Larenz. He is just perfect to me. I make my way past the public school and I see a smaller figure sitting on the bench with his baseball gear on and his cassette player. As I ride closer I realized it was Larenz little brother.

I swerved hard into the parking lot startling him. He looked up and I roll down the window and his face looked like it calmed when he saw me. "Hey Mr. Eli." He said.

"Wassup Kaleb." I said.

"Its Kahlil." He replied.

"Thats what I said Caillou." I respond.

He just lets out a breath and just sits there and looks at me with a annoyed face. "Why you still here? Didn't school let out 3 hours ago." I asked.

"Yeah my brother Francisco supposed to be coming to get me." He said rubbing his eyes.

"Lil man if he aint here now. He aint coming." I say. "How bout I give you a ride."

"Ion know you big bruh." Kahlil said.

"Well I know that but I was headed your way to see Larenz anyway." I replied.

"Ion know bout that sir." Kahlil said.

"Stop callin me that. Call me Eli." I say.

"Im sorry, but Ill just wait." He said.

"Okay ill make a deal. Lemme give ya a lift and Ill get that Sammy Sosa toy I heard you wanted." I say with a smile.

"Oh yeah sure, you aint said nun but a word." He replied. "A friend of Larenz is a friend of mine. Especially if they like you."

I just packed up his stuff in the car and let him ride with me to the mall real quick. Kahlil was very kid like he would touch everything and ask a whole bunch of questions. But he was also giving me the inside scoop on Larenz and all the stuff he likes. He was really a sweet kid with big dreams like every other kid in the hood. He reminded me a lot of myself when I was younger.

We ran into the mall and we quickly grabbed a few things and I bought him his Sammy Sosa and it was kocking on 6:00 in the afternoon. I pulled up to Larenz house and I grabbed the flower that I bought for him and all of Kahlil's stuff out of my trunk.

We walked to the steps and knocked on the door. And we waited a while but before I could lift my hand to knock again I saw Larenz with all his beauty come and open the door. He smiled at me but his smile quickly changed when he saw Kahlil standing there.

"Kahlil I thought you were in your room." He said.

"I dont know how. You be tripping sometimes." Kahlil said causing me to chuckle.

"Just go upstairs and get on the homework big ears." Larenz said.

Kahlil ran in the house and I sat there still trying to contain my laughter and Larenz shot me a glare making me stop. "Shut up." He said.