Shot 50

An hour and a half later, they stopped the car in front of a beautiful cottage style house in the quieter part of Mandoli.

The white picket fence surrounding the cottage almost gave it a fairytale look.

Udhay Bhatia stepped out of the house with a wide smile on his face.

"Poonam, they are here." He called out loudly, looking back into the house.

Neha barrelled towards her father and hugged him tightly in glee.

"Papa... I am home.." Neha said, beaming.

Poonam came out of the house and smiled at Neha's friends.

"How was the journey, kids?" Poonam asked fondly.

"It was fun, Poonam Aunty. It was the first time we all were going on a trip. Though it was short, we thoroughly enjoyed the ride." Zian said with a smile.

"Oh, please call me Mama, just like how Neha does. All her friends call me Mama.." She said with a chuckle and turned to Neha.

She frowned looking at Neha.

"Neha, didn't you take a shower today?" Poonam asked, her lips thinning in annoyance.

Neha shot an angry look at her 'evil step momma'.

"I took a shower just before bed last night." Neha said with a huff.

"So, you didn't take a shower in the morning? How many times have I told you never to step out without taking a shower in the morning?" Poonam asked in her mom's tone.

"How does it matter? In my opinion, we get more germs on our body by the end of the day. So, it is better to take a shower in the evening rather than in the morning." Neha argued.

Before Poonam could open her mouth for further arguments, Udhay intervened.

"Poo, she just came. Give her a break, will you. She is home after two weeks and you have already started scolding her. And look at the kids, still standing in the courtyard." Udhay said, protectively hugging his daughter.

"Keep spoiling her," Poonam said, narrowing her eyes at her husband.

"Where are your manners, Mrs Bhatia? Is this how you welcome guests? I should ask nani what kind of upbringing they gave you. They should have been a bit more strict with you." Neha said haughtily and Poonam rolled her eyes and turned to the other kids with a smile on her face.

"Come in, all of you." Poonam said and before she could turn around, two pairs of arms wrapped around her.

"Kushi, Vansh. Oh my god! What a surprise. Neha didn't say you two are coming." Poonam said in surprise.

"Poonam Maasi, we wanted to give you a surprise." Kushi said with a beaming smile.

Poonam urged everyone into the house, while Neha still clung to her father like a little koala.

Zian chuckled seeing her baby attitude. She is such a daddy's princess. It was evident for anybody to see.

As they stepped into the house, they actually realised it was pretty large. It was a single storeyed building, but it was a sprawling one.

Inside, the house was filled with a warm and inviting atmosphere. The decor was a mix of vintage and modern styles, giving it a unique charm. Large windows allowed the natural light to flood in, making the space feel even more open.

The living room had cosy couches and colourful cushions, creating an aura of comfort.

In total, the house felt so like Neha. Warm and sunny and welcoming.

"Neha, show them the bedrooms. Let them freshen up. I will have the table set by the time they come back." Poonam said and Neha excitedly started showing around her house.

Zian looked around in amazement, as every wall of the house was filled with pictures of Neha.

It was so very obvious that they adored Neha crazily.

As Neha led her friends through the house, she pointed out various rooms and shared anecdotes about each one.

When they reached the bedrooms, Neha opened the doors with enthusiasm, inviting her friends to choose their sleeping arrangements. Each room had its unique touch.

Kushi and Zada decided to share the room with Neha. Zahir and Zian took a room, and Vansh and Amar chose to share, though there were enough rooms for them to have it privately.

Throughout the house tour, Zian observed how much Neha's parents had embraced their only child's individuality, allowing the house to become a canvas for her life. The walls echoed with laughter, love, and cherished memories.

The thought struck Zian that this was a family who had learned the art of weaving their stories into their home.

Once they all freshened up, they came back to the dining area one by one.

The dining table was a feast for the eyes, adorned with a delectable assortment of breakfast items.

There were fluffy idlis stacked high, chutney and sambar to go with. The poha, pooris, parathas, chole bhature, sandwiches and all filled the table. Platters of fresh fruits, pastries and donuts were artfully arranged, and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air.

As they all gathered around the table, Poonam bustled about, ensuring everyone had what they needed.

She poured steaming cups of coffee, tea and juice, making sure to inquire about everyone's preferences. The warmth of her hospitality was felt in every gesture.

"Poonam Maa, this is all too much. You didn't have to make such an effort for us." Zian said gently and Poonam smiled at him fondly and ruffled his hair.

"No much effort, dear. I love cooking. It is my passion." Poonam said.

"Already getting on your future mother in law's good book?" Zahir teased in a low tone, earning a glare from Zian.

"I always tell you not to keep tomatoes in my sandwich." Neha complained, as she pulled out two tomato slices from her sandwich and placed it on Zian's plate. Zian coolly stuffed it into his sandwich and ate it.

Udhay frowned at that easy habit of theirs suspiciously.

"Poo - Poo, I am home."

Everyone looked in the direction of the sound and found a little girl of probably five, standing there with a huge smile on her face.

One look at Neha's annoyed face, they knew who it was..

Pihu, the little devil in Neha's words.

A/n

Here goes the next shot!

Please do vote and comment...

Love,

SF ❤️