Chapter 6 - Michael's rock bottom

Apollo had a long day at work. One of the most popular celebrations in the nation meant much more crowded streets, much more drunk people, and much more patients in the ER. Most of them were minor stuff, alcohol poisoning, small cuts and bruises, but it was just how many people came through the door that made this shift incredibly busy and hectic. 

After a moment the night seemed to slow down, and with no immediate patients, Apollo went to the bathroom and washed his face, taking a deep breath as he looked at himself in the mirror. He didn't notice how tired he was and how much he's gone through until now. That little breather was kind of a wake up call. He needed to lay in bed.

He opened his phone and messaged the gang, trying to lighten up his spirits and see how their dinner is going, but the whole group chat seemed to be offline. He sighed and washed his hands when he suddenly heard some commotion outside in the ER halls.

"Anemós! Where did he run off to? Someone get me Anemós!" He heard. It was the doctor, Apollo frowned in confusion as he's never heard his doctor this frantic, at least not much. He was usually a calm and collected person, which is what made him a good surgeon.

"I'm here doctor!" Apollo rushed out in a hurry, his eyes widening as he saw the unfolding scene. A bunch of nurses and the doctor escorting someone on a hospital bed, a man, in his 20s, he was covered in scars, bones broken, blood stains all over. There was also a girl crying and rushing behind the bed, frantic and worried.

"He was hit by a car, a drunk driver, broken bones, multiple contusions, he's losing blood we need to go into surgery immediately. Prepare and administer the anesthesia while I prepare and get the others" The doctor replied and Apollo obliged as they went into the operating room, putting the hospital bed in the middle. The girl was sobbing and tugged on Apollo turning her to face him.

"Is he gonna be okay?! Will he make it?! Please tell me he's gonna live!" She pleaded.

"Ma'am I assure you we're gonna do the best we can, he will be just fine, be hopeful and put your faith in the gods, I'm gonna need you to stay calm and wait outside" Apollo said as he closed the door and quickly prepared the anesthesia.

"Y-You lied to her, didn't you..." the man asked

"I'm sorry?" Apollo replied.

"Come on, we both know I won't make it..." the man said in a defeated but accepting tone, as if he was ready to die.

"I would never lie about something like that. Don't think like that sir, you'll be okay I promise" Apollo replied.

"You look so cool..."

"I look cool?"

"Very cool. I always admired doctors, but nurses even more so. I wanted to be a nurse, but I guess the gods had other ideas"

"I'm flattered. What makes you like doctors and nurses?" Apollo asked, trying to have small talk in order to keep him calm while he prepared the equipment.

"Doctors are cool, they do surgeries and diagnose patients and stuff, but nurses are cooler in my opinion. They're the ones carrying all the work. They're the ones that tend to the patients and care for them. They're much more honorable to me..."

"Well after we heal you up how about you come join me and be nurse here too?"

"I'd love to... although I'll be probably be on Charon's boat... in a few minutes..." the man said as he coughed blood, and Apollo put his equipment down and looked at him.

"May I ask your name sir?"

"Zachary, but... you can call me Zac"

"Right. Nice to meet you. My name is Apollo"