Chapter 7 - Hippocampus's Rescue

"I couldn't tell you to be honest. I'm just as clueless. They all went to dinner, I felt lonely and went skating, I found myself here" she said, as Apollos eyebrows raised

"They went to dinner...?"

"Yeah, Hemera apparently asked Aether if he can get them a reservation in this fancy place... or something, I wasn't paying attention"

"Atlas and the others also... wanted to go out for dinner at a fancy place, Dionysus told them about it" Apollo said.

"Clever aren't they? They clearly planned it, the two of them. They wanna fix things, it's adorable"

"At least they're trying, Nyx" Apollo said. He was worried, but he didn't want to show it.

"I know you're mad at me. But leave the two of us out of their business. Let them figure things out on their own. Our history doesn't need to interlude with them" She said as he stayed silent with a stern look on his face as he kept looking at her, staying in silence for a while and took a step forward, as she finally turned around to face him "Gods damn it stop being so stoic Apollo, go on, shout, scream, say something, anything" She said as he took some more steps and sat a few feet beside her, on the ledge, his legs also dangling as he stared down.

"The worst thing about this whole situation is that I haven't seen you since that day" he said as she paused for a second.

"...you don't need to put up an act, Apollo. It's okay to be mad" she replied as she turned to face him.

"It's impossible for me to get mad at you. As hard as I try. No matter what you do, I cannot bring myself to be upset at you. It's a weakness of mine" He said as she listened and looked back forward again.

"Well... I'm sorry. I hope you know that" he said as he stayed silent, looking down as he fiddled with his hands "What brought you here today?"

"...long day at work. I... went out for a stroll to try and clear my mind, found myself walking past this place, got an overwhelming urge to get in"

"...same, it's interesting" she said before scooching a bit closer to him "What's bothering you" She asked

"Nothing. I'm alright, just... worried about them..."

"Don't lie to me""

I'm not lying"

"I've been with you for 10 years honey, I can tell when there's something troubling you" she asked as he stayed silent, it hit him hard when she called him that. She heard him sniffling, making her look at him and scooch over to him, she suddenly held his face in her hands and turned it to face her, looking at him "Apollo it kills me to see you this way. What's wrong?" She asked as she held his hand, and he finally looked at her, his eye tearing up.

"I... lost a patient today at work" he said as she could tell he was trying but struggling to keep his composure. Her eyebrows raised in surprise. She's known him for years and not once did a person die on him. He always managed to save people one way or another. She could tell how hard it hit him. She looked at him for a moment before holding his hand tighter.

"They're in a better place now, you did your best Apollo" she said as they both looked at the view.

"He was a young man. In his teens, taken by a drunk driver. He... told me how he admired nurses and wanted to be one like me. He... didn't deserve any of this"

"You never know what the fates have in mind for people, sometimes they do things out of our understanding but it ends up being for the better"

"He had a girlfriend. I had to go out there, and explain to her. He had died. Her lover is gone, she... couldn't stop crying" He said as she listened, letting him vent "It reminded me of us" he replied as she suddenly gave him a kiss on the cheek, and rested her head on his shoulder.