episode 12

A plaintive whisper echoed, breaking the silence. Jinya's voice trembled as she uttered, "C-hao."

Chaoyue's heart sank at the sound of Jinya's tears, her own shock reverberating in the air.

"J-inya, are you crying? Why... did those Kim's do something?" Chaoyue's tension and concern were palpable in her words.

"Cha-o, th-ey are s-aying I a-m a g-old d-igger. And m-y momma d-died b-ecause of m-e," Jinya choked out between sobs.

Chaoyue was overcome with disbelief. The idea that the Kims could stoop to such depths, especially towards their own sister, shook her to the core. Her tone shifted from concern to stern resolve.

"Jinya, I am coming. Just wait for me," she declared, her voice shaking with emotion.

"N-no, please don't cu-t t-he call - pl-please," Jinya pleaded, her tears blending with the sadness that filled the space between them.

Chaoyue could feel her body tensing up, anger building inside. Her sobs echoed through the air. "I'm on my way! I won't hang up-just stop crying!"

But suddenly, Jinya's voice cut off, leaving Chaoyue even more anxious.

"Jinya, are you there? Are you okay?" Chaoyue's worry intensified as she spoke from the other end of the line.

There was a moment of unsettling silence before finally, someone responded.

"Don't worry, she's fine," a calm voice reassured her.

In a serious tone, Chaoyue demanded, "Who is this?"

The owner of the voice revealed to be Hoseok.

"It's me Hoseok her brother . Don't worry, she's fine. I'll handle it, no need for you to come," Hoseok assured her.

"Are you kidding me, Mr. Kim? She was crying her eyes out!" Chaoyue protested.

"Yeah, well, we've got it under control," he said dismissively before abruptly ending the call.

"What the actual f...? He cut me off!" Chaoyue exclaimed in frustration.

"God, please intervene and ensure Jinya's safety. I hope she'll be okay," Chaoyue whispered in prayer, feeling helpless and unable to go to her.

As Hoseok ended the call, she turned to see Jinya, her eyes fixed on the ground, her tears already dried but with no sign of lifting her gaze.

"Jinya," he spoke softly, but she didn't respond, standing in silence, staring down.

He sighed, understanding that Taehyung had made a terrible mistake, leaving her hurt and upset. He had come to cheer her up, not because he accepted her, but because she was just a young girl who had recently lost her mother, and harsh words could only add to her distress.

As the elder, he had decided to come and try to cheer her up. He found her crying, which made him feel a sadness he couldn't quite understand.

He took her phone from her, and although she flinched for a moment, she remained silent and still.

He couldn't help but notice Jinya's long hair looking untidy.

"Did you take a shower, Jinya?" he inquired, to which she nodded while keeping her gaze lowered.

He smiled-perhaps the first time Jinya had seen someone smile in these grand mansion. "Do you even know my name?" he questioned.

"How could I? You've never bothered to introduce yourself properly. You always wear that poker face around me,as if I stole your last slice of cake that was hidden from your brothers from long ," she replied sternly, her annoyance evident, which made Hoseok chuckle.