3) Christmas Eve

"Silent night, holy night," Ada and Beatrice belt, dancing around the Christmas tree, a glass of gin in each of their hands.

"Will you two be quiet?" John groans, and they just laugh, now serenading him, "all is calm, and all is bright,"

"You're hurting my ears," John complains as the two young women continue to sing loudly.

"Kez, shut them up, you're the only one who knows how," Arthur says.

"But I'm enjoying it," Kez teases.

"No, you're not," John replies, "you're enjoying watching us get tortured."

"That's what I meant," Kezia shrugs, as Ada and Bea try to get her to stand up and dance with them, "sleep in heavenly peace."

"You still enjoying it?" Tommy replies.

"You boys might as well get used to it," Kezia states, "it's a regular occurrence."

"Who wants to go to the pub?" Arthur asks, John and Tommy instantly agreeing.

"You're not leaving, we're spending time together on Christmas Eve," Polly states, from where she was playing Mah Jong with Jeremiah. Finn and Isaiah were sat by the tree rattling the presents with their names on them trying to work out what they'd get.

"Told you," Kez replies, "might as well get used to it."

"I don't want to get used to this," Arthur retorts, "my ears are hurting."

"Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh, over the fields we go, laughing all the way," both women then let out horrendous cackles as they linked arms and skipped in a circle.

Kezia stands up, and the women cheer, thinking they've finally worn her down, but instead of walking towards them, she backs away into the kitchen to pour herself another drink, the two younger women followed her, continuing with their singing.

"I'm surprised you haven't told us to shut up, we've been going for a while, we got bored a couple of songs ago, we just wanted to piss people off," Ada laughs.

"Why would I tell you to shut up?" Kezia replies, filling her glass up.

"You're telling me you weren't the slightest bit annoyed with our singing?" Ada responds.

"Used to be. Not anymore," Kezia shrugs, "realised it made you happy, didn't want that to stop, so I just got used to it."

"You're sweet on us," Ada teases, stealing her sister's glass of whiskey and downing it.

"You made me a-happy sometimes, you made me glad," Kezia states, taking the glass back from her younger sister, "no more for you, Chakano."

"Al Jolson," Bea says, "you just quoted Al Jolson. You like our singing, admit it!"

"Liking it doesn't mean it's good," Kezia responds.

"Harsh," Bea gasps.

"True," Kez retorts, taking a sip from her drink, walking towards the front door which someone had just knocked on.

"Evening, Kez, sorry I'm late," Theresa smiles, as Kezia opens the door, looking her up and down, "you're over a month late."

"I got caught up with a Frenchman, it's over now though," Theresa says, following Kez into the house, shutting the door, "I couldn't send a letter."

"I forgot you were illiterate," Kez mutters.

"Well, you haven't changed," Theresa laughs.

"Tess!" Ada exclaims joyfully, embracing the woman.