41) Ada's departure

"I'm moving to London," Ada announces to the room of women.

"What- why?" Kezia responds.

"Freddie has some friends there," Ada shrugs, and Kez scoffs, "you have your family here."

"I'm not staying in Birmingham my entire life, Kez, I want more," Ada sighs.

"Don't we all," Esmé laughs.

"You want London or does Freddie want London?" Kezia asks.

"We both want it," Ada states.

"When are you moving?" Tess inquires.

"Next week," Ada answers.

"Next week?" Kez repeats, her voice raised slightly, sitting up in her chair.

"Freddie and I have been discussing this for months, ever since he got out of prison," Ada states.

"It's far," Bea whispers.

"I know," Ada nods solemnly, "I'm going to miss you."

Kez sighs, "are you at least moving into something bigger than the shoebox?"

"Stop calling it a shoebox," Ada replies, "and yes, it's a little nicer, a little bigger."

"Let me guess, Freddie's friends, they're commies, probably end up sharing with a dozen of them, collective ownership and all," Kez mumbles.

"Stop with the snark," Polly says.

"This is bullshit," Kezia scoffs, "you can't tell me you're fine with this?"

"Your sister is a grown woman who can make her own decisions," Polly states.

"Thank you, Pol," Ada says.

"So where in London are you going?" Beatrice asks.

"Near to Islington," Ada smiles.

Kez frowns, Islington was predominantly Italian territory. Specifically Italian territory that Tommy wanted to take over, along with the Jewish territory in Camden Town. The two main gangs of London are what Tommy strives to take down next, and Ada is going to move smack bang in the middle of it.

Polly and Tess glance at Kez, they were aware of Tommys desire for an expansion, and they had the inkling Kezia probably knew a lot more than they did, judging by the disgruntled look on her face. They were expecting more objections to come from Kez, but then they notice Bea's hand on her thigh, probably a silent sign for her to calm down.

"London is dangerous, Ada," Kez states.

"So is Birmingham, you got fucking shot, what is your point?" Ada shrugs.

"You don't want to be here for the next time I get shot?" Kez retorts.

"Not funny," Tess scolds.

"I disagree," Kez mumbles.

"If we mind our business it won't be dangerous," Ada says, "we won't be mouthing off to men with guns. This is happening, you won't convince me otherwise."

"The Italians and the Jewish are at war, and you're planning to move quite literally into the middle of it," Kezia states.

"She's right, I have cousins in London, it's nothing but trouble, like a war between armies, even the coppers are involved," Esmé says.

"I'm not asking for permission to move, I'm telling you all that it's happening," Ada responds.

"Just warning you of the risks," Kezia shrugs.

"She'll be okay, Kez," Bea states.

"The night before we leave we're planning to come here for some drinks, the boys know we're leaving to London, but they don't know where, I'd appreciate it if nobody mentioned it to them," Ada says.