46)

"Tommy, can we please use your car to go down to London?" Bea asks, "oh and Kez, we need to go to London."

"What's going on?" Kezia queries.

"I've just got off the phone to Ada, Freddie died last night," Beatrice states and Tommy slides the keys to the car across the table. He wasn't too keen on Kezia going into London by herself just as the expansion started but he knew there was absolutely no use in trying to convince her not to go.

"What? How?" Kezia asks, standing up and grabbing the keys.

"Apparently he'd been ill for a while, they both thought he was going to get better so they didn't think to mention it," Bea says.

"Call us when you get there!" Polly calls after the women as they rush out of the snug.

-

"Ada, open up," Bea speaks softly, knocking on Ada's apartment door.

They could hear sniffles behind the door, moments later they could hear the latch being unlocked, and Ada appeared tears still fresh in her red eyes.

"It'll be okay," Bea whispers to her bestfriend embracing her as they walk into the apartment, Kez closing the door.

Kez greets Ada with a hug, she didn't know what she could possibly say to her sister to make this situation better or easier. Surprisingly, when Kezia went to pull away Ada would not let her, her arms stayed locked around her older sister, "I knew you'd come."

Bea went over to Karl, putting a smile on her face to try and soothe the nerves of the young boy as she crouched down in front of him, "hey buddy."

Kezia keeps her arms around Ada, who had buried her face against Kez's shoulder and was sobbing. Kez places a hand on the back of her head, the other soothingly rubbing her back.

"I thought he was getting better," Ada cries quietly, "I didn't think he'd- I thought he'd make it."

Ada didn't know what it was about Kez, but being in her sister's arms made her feel a little better. Perhaps it was because she'd spent all night feeling so, so alone, but now Kez was here and Ada knew Kez would always be there, even if sometimes she didn't want her there, she would be, and that made her feel much less alone.

"Have you slept?" Kezia asks, and she feels Ada shake her head, "Karl was up all night."

"Get some sleep, we'll look after Karl, go have some rest," Kez states.

"Thank you," Ada smiles sadly, pulling away from her sister and rubbing her eyes.

"There'll be food ready for you when you wake up," Kezia tells her, and Ada nods walking into the bedroom.

-

"That smells good," Ada yawns, coming back into the living area after having a couple hours of sleep, just as there's a knock on the door.

"I'll get that, you eat," Kezia states, watching Ada sit at the table before walking over to the door.

Kez was hyper aware that she was in the middle of Sabini and Solomon's territories. Her free hand goes behind her back, resting on the gun tucked into her waistband, as she slowly opens the door.

"Who are you?" Kezia asks, looking the brunette haired man up and down, noticing ink splotches on his hands, "you're the writer... James?"

"Yes, you must be the sister," James replies.

"I don't know if I must be, but I am," Kezia says, releasing her hold on the gun, reaching to shake his hand, "nice to meet you."

"Likewise, can I come in?" James asks.

Kez looks over her shoulder, "Ada, James is here."

"Let him in then," Ada says, and Kez nods, holding the door further open so James could enter the apartment.

"You must be, Bea," James smiles, giving Karl who was in Bea's arms a little wave.

"At your service," Bea jokes.

"I just got your message, are you okay?" James asks, pulling out the chair opposite Ada.

"I will be," Ada replies.

Kezia goes to wrap her arm around Bea before remembering they were in the presence of a stranger.

Bea glances at her confused as to why she'd pulled her arm back, "what?"

Kez gestures to James who was sat with his back to them, and Bea shakes her head, "he's gay, Kez, it's okay."

"Oh, wonderful," Kez says, placing her arm around Bea's shoulders, kissing her temple.

"Jamie, can we play chess?" Karl asks, tugging the man's sleeve.

"Not right now, champ," James replies, and Karl turns to Bea and Kez, "Jamie taught me to play chess, can you play chess?"

"No, sorry, bud," Bea says.

"Auntie Kez?" Karl asks, hope shining in his eyes.

"I'll play with you," she nods.

"Good," Karl smiles, "mum, where's the board?"

"In the box, love," Ada responds.

"We'll have to play on the floor," Karl states, digging through the box.

"Fine by me," Kezia says.